Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

TUNE for ECO fuel Economy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Default TUNE for ECO fuel Economy?

Is there a tune that will get better MPGs and has a smooth power band ? I would also like an additional tune made for towing as well.
Bought a Scorcher module and its CRAP as all it provided was light switch power followed with a jerk in the drive train and lousy MPGs.
I dont want anything that will hurt the Truk or exhaust and I dont want to run Supreme fuel. What is the best proven tune?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by wdbates
Is there a tune that will get better MPGs and has a smooth power band ? I would also like an additional tune made for towing as well.
Bought a Scorcher module and its CRAP as all it provided was light switch power followed with a jerk in the drive train and lousy MPGs.
I dont want anything that will hurt the Truk or exhaust and I dont want to run Supreme fuel. What is the best proven tune?
Can of worms! While some have Eco tunes, most folks don't care for the loss of power. For the greatest flexibility, get an SCT tuner from Franchi or one of the other venders on the forum. The SCT comes with an 87, 91 and 93 "canned" tune installed on it. And most tuners use that platform for custom tunes.
Tow tunes? 5 Star has a Perf/Tow tune that is a good daily driver and all octanes will tow to the max rating of the truck. I hope you know that even stock or with an 87 tune, you should always use premium fuel for towing per the owner manual.
Performance/Street tunes often deliver a little bit better fuel mileage over stock.
There are lots of custom tuners: MPT, SSI, Unleashed, 5 Star, Leading Edge, etc and everyone has their favorites. You can also tow with the SCT canned 87 tune, and most custom tuners have tow tunes available. I personally have tow tunes from SSI, MPT and 5 Star. Tow tunes typically get slightly less MPG than Street/Perf tunes because they run a little richer for safety.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 03-21-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Haha yeah.....Open...Can...Worms...Everywhere

Every custom tuning company will have options for both octane and use. I personally prefer the 93 octane tunes and don't pay for my fuel so I went for those tunes. I have the 93 Performance, 93 Towing, and 89 Performance in case I ever drop octane or 93 isn't available. That's the beauty of custom tuning. You tell them what you want and they make adjustments accordingly.

Furthermore, you can then datalog your truck for them and send information to them allowing them to further fine tune things specific to you as well.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Most economy tunes are somewhat detuned. Your truck will feel somewhat sluggish. You can do as good if not better stock. Put a good performance tune in and drive for economy and enjoy the best of both worlds. But if you really want the Eco tune get ahold of unleashed and try the 87 Eco tune. It still feels a bit better than stock and does give you a little better milage.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

The economy tunes reduce or delay boost. So they will get a little better mpg but people say they seem to hit the gas harder to get going so it's a wash except for steady cruising. But the. You are not really under boost anyway..which is where the ecoboost gets the best mpg and why it's rated 2 mpg better than the 5.0 on the hwy. because it gets better mpg on the hwy out of boost. So you are better off getting no tune or a general tune since the mpg real world benefit of an economy tune will be negligible.
The following users liked this post:
Legendsk (03-22-2014)

Quick Reply: TUNE for ECO fuel Economy?