Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

TSB 16-0027 Timing Chain Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Post TSB 16-0027 Timing Chain Repair

First off DO NOT ATTEMPT if you are not mechanically inclined, This project will require a lot of blood sacrifices and a few 12 packs of beer.

My truck is a 2011 Fx2 3.5L ecoboost I currently have 119k miles on my truck. My rattle / timing chain slap issue started to become noticeable around 110k miles before then it was a barley noticeable rattle (like a coke can with a marble) under slow speed load conditions like accelerating (not wot).

Anyways.....

First things first. You will need the FOLLOW SPECIAL TOOLS. I know the videos on youtube state you don't need specialty tools but they failed to mention they are mechanics and have these basic tools for these things.

1. 3 leg GEAR Puller for the crank pulley.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2407&ppt=C2371

2. CAM holding tool for 3.5l and 3.7 Engines.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-3-5L-3-...916800&vxp=mtr

3. Basic 3/8, and 1/2 Drive Socket sets.

4. a Torque wrench that goes up to 75ft lbs and one that's good for lower torque number in ft-in range 1/4" drive or 3/8".

5. Good ford repair guide. I would look for the official ford PDF one for 09-14 fords. Honestly the Haynes guide was kind of useless it has almost no pictures of the engine and a lot of the pictures are not even for the 3.5L Ecoboost.

6. last but not least a breaker bar will be your friend 1/2 drive at least 18 inches long. That crank shaft pulley is no joke to get back on.

Here are some pictures.

The beginning.

All together with engine cover off.

This is the flat side of camshaft on each camshaft that the holder tool needs to be put on. Just turn crank while chain still on till both sides are top dead center or both tools can be inserted. You have to remove the small tube lines on driver/ passenger side before tool will let you put it on.

Here it is with both covers off make sure you tape up the intake manifold dropping a bolt in there would be a mess.

This SOB is a pita to get off but you see the 3 little wing looking things on the round sides of the center part. Thats where you have to wedge the puller arms between that and the inside edge of the inner wheel of the pulley.

Tensioner was way out of its hole.

after new chain installed, guides, cam phaser gears this is what the tensioner should look like.

Front view with new stuff installed.

Front cover before removal have everything off of it. Have to remove water pump and tension-er and alternator.

All broken down with new stuff on. You can easily tell new stuff from old because of the color it is.

Going back together putting hoses back on for cooling system.

Runs great basically runs like it just rolled off show room floor. Put my XV1 tune back on it and it takes off like a bat out of hell!

FEEL FREE to PM me questions i pretty much know all there is to know about this engine now.......

Last edited by Deadlyblade2k; 03-16-2016 at 09:09 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Deadlyblade2k:
AnsoLobo (06-20-2016), bk117wrench (12-29-2018), catbones (01-09-2017), fsdogs (11-21-2017), Tothemax (01-09-2017), wwchapman (06-03-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-14-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

You're the second person that I know to have attempted the repair. It's a lot of time so definitely can't be done in a weekend. Try to post some pics of the job so others call follow along.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Hows the truck run?
Old 03-15-2016, 04:32 PM

Truck runs amazing super quiet at idle. no rattle when starting seems my gas mileage and throttle response has improved. Honestly it feels like a new truck. I will post a guide per say once I figure out how to get pictures to work.

Pictures ive tried to add and some reason they wont attach to post.... any Ideas?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:03 PM

You don't realize just how poorly the engine is running until after the repair is completed. I agree, feels like a new truck.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cord
You don't realize just how poorly the engine is running until after the repair is completed. I agree, feels like a new truck.
Any idea how to get pics to upload? They are showing in my album but won't attach to post
Old 03-16-2016, 01:26 PM

Lets see...
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2016, 01:29 PM

Works fine for me. Check the image size first. After you select the image, on the right side, be sure to click on "upload". Once I did that, the image was clearly an attachment to the thread.

btw- the pic is our place up north that the mrs and I built. Yea, I've got expensive hobbies.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Sub'd.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha! just found this post. Wow, now I know what to look into when it happens to me which is some what happening only when temps change but still I know now how things look in there at least, what tools I might need and I'm sure I'll have bunch of questions in the summer if I decide to take this on in my driveway...

Looking at the pictures, seems you made marks on the phasers and chain but not aligned, is that because they moved since? How do you transfer marks from old chain to new chain and pulley. Like what identifications you look for to know you are transferring the markings correct?

Quick Reply: TSB 16-0027 Timing Chain Repair