Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Truck in for engine repairs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 318 Likes on 229 Posts

Default Truck in for engine repairs

Took my truck (2014 XLT SCAB 4x4 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and Heavy Duty PP) in for change of plugs. Told the service writer that 1) it has seemed a little hesitant when taking off from a dead start, 2) I'd been hearing what seemed like noise coming from the timing chain area. He said they'd run all the diagnostics before doing the spark plug thing.

Later in the morning, got a call and they said they couldn't replicate the hesitation at take off, but had gotten several codes. The codes coupled with the TSB's they had concerning both timing chains and turbos, has caused them to decide to replace the timing chain and the turbos. Thank goodness I decided when I first bought the truck (have 52k miles on it now) to get the Premium ESP coverage. Between this and the throttle body replacement back at 36+ thousand miles, and my ESP purchase will have been a wise purchase.

Supposed to get it back by next Wednesday. Should a new timing chain and new turbos get some break in time before pulling a travel trailer? If so, I'm afraid it will not.
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (06-06-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like you answered your own question
Old 06-05-2018, 09:48 PM

For anyone who has had the timing chain and other stuff changed on a 3.5L Ecoboost engined truck, was the cab taken off the chassis? That's what they are doing to my 2014 F150 XLT 4x4 with HDPP.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 AM

Some shops prefer to do it this way -- others leave the cab in place. You concerned about it?

You'll have to remind me what HDPP is....
Old 06-06-2018, 07:11 AM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

Pulling the cab seems really unnecessary and isn't part of service procedure for either the timing chain or the turbos. I'm not sure what warranty pays the tech to do this job, but the normal time customer pay time is 19hr so I'm guessing warranty is paying 8-11hrs. Doing this under warranty I wouldn't think there's enough time to screw around with pulling the cab just to gain a little extra room to work in.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rougen123
Some shops prefer to do it this way -- others leave the cab in place. You concerned about it?

You'll have to remind me what HDPP is....
I'm not happy that the entire cab is being lifted off the truck. Will they put it back correctly?

HDPP is Heavy Duty Payload Package. Lots of stuff is beefed up a little. The RAWR is 4800#. The payload capacity is 2286#. My truck is the last year of the all steel bodies.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by SALEEN961
Pulling the cab seems really unnecessary and isn't part of service procedure for either the timing chain or the turbos. I'm not sure what warranty pays the tech to do this job, but the normal time customer pay time is 19hr so I'm guessing warranty is paying 8-11hrs. Doing this under warranty I wouldn't think there's enough time to screw around with pulling the cab just to gain a little extra room to work in.
All this work is definitely under warranty, so I guess it's between the dealer and Ford. It's not coming out of my pocket. It just seems excessive for timing chain and turbos, that's all.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:51 PM

Got my truck back at 3:30 pm as promised. That was good. We were cutting it close. Supposed to go out for the weekend starting tomorrow.

In any case, new turbos were installed along with associated hard ware, presumably the waste gates which were sticking. They also replaced the primary timing chain and all 4 variable camshaft timing unit. etc. They retrieved codes P0234 and P0239. The write up mentioned TSB 16-0013 and TSB 16-0027.

Fortunately, all this was covered under warranty
Old 06-07-2018, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Atlee
Will they put it back correctly?
This is a risk you take with anyone putting anything back together. From my understanding -- pulling the cab is a matter of the opinion of the tech working on it/what is dictated as being more/most convenient by those with experience. Whenever I attempted to replicate my rattle for my local dealer, the dealership told me what they typically do is pull the cab. For example's sake, I would imagine its the difference between doing a job that can be done with a floor jack and jack stands versus using a lift.
Originally Posted by Atlee
Got my truck back at 3:30 pm as promised. That was good. We were cutting it close. Supposed to go out for the weekend starting tomorrow.

In any case, new turbos were installed along with associated hard ware, presumably the waste gates which were sticking. They also replaced the primary timing chain and all 4 variable camshaft timing unit. etc. They retrieved codes P0234 and P0239. The write up mentioned TSB 16-0013 and TSB 16-0027.

Fortunately, all this was covered under warranty
Sounds like you were lucky bro -- I wouldn't be sweating anything. Most of us with rattle are out of warranty.

Quick Reply: Truck in for engine repairs