Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Towing with Max Tow Ecoboost engines

Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Towing with Max Tow Ecoboost engines

I had a Super Duty before and never had any issue towing my bass boat and every now and then on occasion would put in OD lockout or Tow/Haul mode. This new 2013 Ecoboost with the Max Tow 3.73 rear. This can tow 11,100 pounds. My bass boat is around 3,000lbs+, mainly on flat terrain, and occasional small hill. For those guys who tow alot do you push the tow/haul button for this kind of load or do you just drive normally and let the low end torque and transmission do the work? I havent hooked boat up yet (too cold) But will be on the next warm spell. Any thoughts on towing with this truck?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Tow/haul and leave it alone. That's why it's there.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

its a preference. i never t/h`d till i was 5k plus and felt the shifting was too lazy for tugging the load
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Haven't used tow/haul yet and I tow an 8k 5th. I just lock it out of 6th and go. Manual says not to use tow/haul unless you are in really hilly terrain or mountains. When I head out west, I'll give it a try.

Edit: forgot to say that you won't need to lock out 6th. It might downshift to 5th on a hill but that's it. Just let it do it's thing.

Last edited by Buck50HD; 01-02-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

Mine doesn't have the max tow, I've used both the T/H mode and and normal mode and can't tell any difference other than it stays in one gear a little longer before it upshifts to the next in T/H. My boat is only 18.5 ft and not that heavy. I have used the T/H in Colorado mountains and it does keep it from shifting a little.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally would not use tow/haul unless transmission was having issues keeping up. Usually you'll notice the transmission keep unlocking the torque converter to build rpms. If it starts doing that then I would push it. I tow a similar weight bass boat in South Georgia which has flat terrain and have never had to use it.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck50HD
Haven't used tow/haul yet and I tow an 8k 5th. I just lock it out of 6th and go. Manual says not to use tow/haul unless you are in really hilly terrain or mountains. When I head out west, I'll give it a try.

Edit: forgot to say that you won't need to lock out 6th. It might downshift to 5th on a hill but that's it. Just let it do it's thing.
Not sure where you read in the owners manual about not using tow/haul unless in hilly terrain or mountains? My manual says to use it whenever towing. It reads and i quote- Improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or heavy load. Tow/Haul delays upshifts which assists in transmission cooling and also to reduce frequency of transmission shifting. Tow/haul also provides engine breaking in all forward gears.
I'm towing about the same weight as you and I use tow/ haul everytime i hook up. I also lockout 6th gear when I'm in hilly terrain. I will admit since it's just a little V6 the engine breaking is a joke when descending down a steep grade. Just out of curiosity what temp does your trans run at while towing if your not using tow/haul?? The hottest my trans has seen is 203 degrees on a long 6-7% climb. Most of the time its right at 195 degrees.
Kevin
Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 PM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

so some use tow/haul and some dont. If things are flat shouldnt the truck know when to shift. I had OD lockout on my 02 SD but it had a 4 sp trans and only locked out 4th gear and made truck run higher rpms and drank fuel. If i hit the tow/haul on this ecoboost will i notice it run different and same engine high rpms between shifts or does it just lock out 6th gear?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
Not sure where you read in the owners manual about not using tow/haul unless in hilly terrain or mountains? My manual says to use it whenever towing. It reads and i quote- Improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or heavy load. Tow/Haul delays upshifts which assists in transmission cooling and also to reduce frequency of transmission shifting. Tow/haul also provides engine breaking in all forward gears.
I'm towing about the same weight as you and I use tow/ haul everytime i hook up. I also lockout 6th gear when I'm in hilly terrain. I will admit since it's just a little V6 the engine breaking is a joke when descending down a steep grade. Just out of curiosity what temp does your trans run at while towing if your not using tow/haul?? The hottest my trans has seen is 203 degrees on a long 6-7% climb. Most of the time its right at 195 degrees.
Kevin
I thought it said it wasn't necessary if on flat terrain. Guess I'll have to check out the manual again. The benefits of tow/haul are aimed more toward constant up and down.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Truck owner
so some use tow/haul and some dont. If things are flat shouldnt the truck know when to shift. I had OD lockout on my 02 SD but it had a 4 sp trans and only locked out 4th gear and made truck run higher rpms and drank fuel. If i hit the tow/haul on this ecoboost will i notice it run different and same engine high rpms between shifts or does it just lock out 6th gear?
If you use the tow/haul it will hold gears longer before shifting so the engine will less likely bog down and have to downshift to try and maintain speed. Using tow/haul will not lockout 6th gear and with your boat not being all that heavy you have no reason to lock out 6th gear anyway. The way i look at it the tow/haul button is there so why not use it..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing with Max Tow Ecoboost engines