Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 PM
ChaseN

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Timing Chain

Does anyone have any "pull" at any dealers around San Antonio area? My 2013 Limited ecoboost began having the noise at 60,400 miles. I now have 61,200 miles and I'm afraid I'll be on my own expense to repair the timing chain and sensors. Please help.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:03 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Newest tsb says customer has to hear noise. Are they giving you grief when you take it in?

Last edited by Tothemax; 05-23-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 PM
ChaseN

Since I'm over 60k miles, they want $1,800 to repair.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:18 PM
King Hater

Ahh. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I guess I'll respond here. My truck has been at the dealer for about a month now. It's a 2011 that I bought in 2014. I bought it Ford Certified with about 55k miles on it. As far back as I can remember -- so I think since I bought it -- the truck had the rattle on startup but for a few years ran fine. Then around when the truck hit 80k it started acting up. I knew about this possible issue and the DTC showed up to boot.

Took it to the dealer, the noise was obvious, the timing chain being stretched was obvious. Plain as day. They had it a week and never called. Finally I called them and they said that for them to continue I had to authorize a $1,000 "tear down" fee so they could take apart the engine and send pictures to Ford Warranty for "verification" I guess that I had taken proper care of the engine -- an engine I put 25k on that the previous owner put 55k on and treated it who knows how. It sounded like they were going to try to weasel out of the repair, but I authorized it.

Two weeks later I called them back (they never call you.) The guy said that Ford Warranty approved the repairs but they didn't know what all it needed because there was valve bend. I asked them point blank if they are putting a new engine in or what. The guy didn't know. Said he'd get back to me. That was almost two weeks ago. Who knows what they're doing to my truck while I'm sitting here making payments on it lol. I've only ever bought Ford but this truck and a 5.0 Mustang I had with an mt-82 issue back in 2013 -- and the runaround by Ford Warranty every time -- has really turned me off on the company. I have the truck and a Focus. They are probably my last Ford vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
JLTD (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 09:51 AM
ChaseN

Anyone had any luck getting it covered under the emissions warranty as this link states?

https://www.f150forum.com/attachment...tsb15-0131.pdf
Old 05-23-2017, 10:19 AM
King Hater

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Anyone had any luck getting it covered under the emissions warranty as this link states?

https://www.f150forum.com/attachment...tsb15-0131.pdf
Have you called the dealership????
Old 05-23-2017, 10:19 AM
King Hater

Originally Posted by colonel panic
So I guess I'll respond here. My truck has been at the dealer for about a month now. It's a 2011 that I bought in 2014. I bought it Ford Certified with about 55k miles on it. As far back as I can remember -- so I think since I bought it -- the truck had the rattle on startup but for a few years ran fine. Then around when the truck hit 80k it started acting up. I knew about this possible issue and the DTC showed up to boot.

Took it to the dealer, the noise was obvious, the timing chain being stretched was obvious. Plain as day. They had it a week and never called. Finally I called them and they said that for them to continue I had to authorize a $1,000 "tear down" fee so they could take apart the engine and send pictures to Ford Warranty for "verification" I guess that I had taken proper care of the engine -- an engine I put 25k on that the previous owner put 55k on and treated it who knows how. It sounded like they were going to try to weasel out of the repair, but I authorized it.

Two weeks later I called them back (they never call you.) The guy said that Ford Warranty approved the repairs but they didn't know what all it needed because there was valve bend. I asked them point blank if they are putting a new engine in or what. The guy didn't know. Said he'd get back to me. That was almost two weeks ago. Who knows what they're doing to my truck while I'm sitting here making payments on it lol. I've only ever bought Ford but this truck and a 5.0 Mustang I had with an mt-82 issue back in 2013 -- and the runaround by Ford Warranty every time -- has really turned me off on the company. I have the truck and a Focus. They are probably my last Ford vehicles.
Sounds like another case of a crappy dealership.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:35 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by colonel panic
It's a 2011 that I bought in 2014. I bought it Ford Certified with about 55k miles on it. As far back as I can remember -- so I think since I bought it -- the truck had the rattle on startup but for a few years ran fine. Then around when the truck hit 80k it started acting up. I knew about this possible issue and the DTC showed up to boot.
Ok I'm sorry but if I'm reading this correct you ran the truck for 2 years with hearing the timing chain rattle??
In my opinion you shouldn't be covered for anything. That's negligence. What did you think was going to happen? Since you bought the truck certified it would have been covered anyways. But you chose to wait so long for some reason until the timing slipped and a valve kissed a piston...why should Ford cover any of that. In the end it's up to you to maintain your vehicle and bring it in before small problems turn into big ones.
Do the same with with a different brand and you'll run into the same issues.

Last edited by Logan24; 05-23-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:37 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Does anyone have any "pull" at any dealers around San Antonio area? My 2013 Limited ecoboost began having the noise at 60,400 miles. I now have 61,200 miles and I'm afraid I'll be on my own expense to repair the timing chain and sensors. Please help.
Your best bet would be to call around to local dealers and talk to the service manager. Not the front office people but the actual manager.
I had issues with the first dealer I talked to and went straight to the service manager at the second one and he was awesome to deal with.
Since you were so close to the 60k I would hope they still warranty it since it's becoming such a common issue.
Good luck man.