Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Synthetic Oil! Whose Running it? How many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Synthetic Oil! Whose Running it? How many miles?

I just did the first oil change on my used 5.0. Decided to go with the Castrol Edge Full Synthetic with fluid titanium technology, Also got a K and N Oil Filter. This is the first vehicle I have run Synthetic in and I am just wondering who else is running synthetic or even more specifically who is running the castrol and how long are you running between oil changes. I do not pull very much and do a mix of in town and hwy driving.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Not sure of the benefits of K&N Oil filter. I haven't had any luck with them and they cost too damn much. Motorcraft filters don't have issues and are cheap and work great.

I've run Pennzoil Platinum in my first EB for 40k miles and then again in my current one for almost 30k miles now. It is one of the best out there and isn't very expensive either.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Motorcraft to Amisol

I have run the motorcraft OEM syn blend in the truck since day 1. At 25K miles I came up for inspection and needed an oil change (I just change it when the indicator tells me to and the truck doesn't burn oil). Both auto stores were out of the the Motorcraft oil and filter. 8qts and a filter run me about $80. The inspection shop told me he would do amisol for $100 and it has a 10k change interval. No issues so far, not really sure if its worth the money. The most important thing is t use a decent oil with the correct viscosity, Tolerances are so tight these days you can really screw something up if you go with too heavy an oil.
The following users liked this post:
iFord (04-18-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am planning on running the pennzoil platinum as well. But want to get a few miles on it first, make sure it gets broke in properly. Next oil change I will be going full syn. She has 18000km right now.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My truck just turned 75000 Miles. I wanted the motorcraft filter but advanced was out so I got the K and N because they had a special with it and the castrol oil got 7 quarts plus the filter for 33 dollars! Just curious how long I can run it without a change Im planning on 7500-10000 miles. Normally I only drive around 10000 miles a year so that would be 1 change a year.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jhowel34
My truck just turned 75000 Miles. I wanted the motorcraft filter but advanced was out so I got the K and N because they had a special with it and the castrol oil got 7 quarts plus the filter for 33 dollars! Just curious how long I can run it without a change Im planning on 7500-10000 miles. Normally I only drive around 10000 miles a year so that would be 1 change a year.
Your Ford wants an oil change every 10,000 miles. I believe that is what is in your service Manuel.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

My old truck I would run amsoil signature series 5w-30 with a wix oil filter. Truck seemed to run a bit smoother and cooler. I would change it around 5-6k miles and never had an issue with oil usage. My new truck I plan to wait till at least 5k miles before switching to synthetic and plan to do the same as before. For like $20 a year you can setup a personal usage account with amsoil and they will ship oil to your house. I'm wanting to say it was around $110 for a 12 qt case of their signature series shipped to my door. I bought 2 case which was enough for 3 oil changes plus ordered the wix filter off amazon for like $5 each. All said and done I think it was around $80 per oil change for a high quality oil and filter..
Old 04-14-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpony
My old truck I would run amsoil signature series 5w-30 with a wix oil filter. Truck seemed to run a bit smoother and cooler. I would change it around 5-6k miles and never had an issue with oil usage. My new truck I plan to wait till at least 5k miles before switching to synthetic and plan to do the same as before. For like $20 a year you can setup a personal usage account with amsoil and they will ship oil to your house. I'm wanting to say it was around $110 for a 12 qt case of their signature series shipped to my door. I bought 2 case which was enough for 3 oil changes plus ordered the wix filter off amazon for like $5 each. All said and done I think it was around $80 per oil change for a high quality oil and filter..
I don't know why you waste good oil like that with such an early oil change. I've been running Amsoil signature series on this truck and the one I had before. I change it once a year with probably around 15-18,000 miles on it. I also use the Ea filters from Amsoil.

My last truck had 357,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. Engine still ran great, just everything was needing replacement.
77Ranger460 (05-24-2017)
Old 04-14-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Mobile 1synthetic. I've used it on every vehicle I've owned for the last 15years. Never had a reason to change so I stayed with it. This doesn't mean other oils are worst..... I did however stop using the factory recommended 5-20 and switched to a 5-30. Engine sounds better to me. I try and change oil every 5000 miles, but do get up to 7500 miles in between changes from time to time.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by venatic
I don't know why you waste good oil like that with such an early oil change. I've been running Amsoil signature series on this truck and the one I had before. I change it once a year with probably around 15-18,000 miles on it. I also use the Ea filters from Amsoil.

My last truck had 357,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. Engine still ran great, just everything was needing replacement.
I don't know, maybe because I want to. I don't know why you care so much about why someone else like to change their oil a bit early? Let's try to stay on topic and answer the op's question.
Hodge150 (01-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil! Whose Running it? How many miles?