Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Stage 3 Motorsports Phase5 kit?

Old 04-30-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Question Stage 3 Motorsports Phase5 kit?

Does anyone have experience with this? Cost seems a bit high for the performance increase (Aprrox 120RWTQ and +70HP) for $3,749.00. It comes with new exhaust, downpipes, intercooler, throttle body, air intake, charge pipe, lifetime 5* tunes, and optional Turbosmart BOVs (for an additional $320).

I ask as I am no expert or even journeyman in this arena... but I do know a lot of car guys and they seem to get far more bang for buck. Or is this just how it is for Ecoboost motors? Is this a good value and product? Or are there better street-legal add-ons to increase my performance?

Link to kit below.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/S3M...ance-Pack.html
Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

It doesn't seem "out of line"...does that include shipping? For some, this is a convenient way to go...like pulling off a bandage.

You could piecemeal something similar together...maybe leave out the Throttle Body, Charge Pipe, Motorcraft Spark Plugs (although I would change stock and regap new ones) and Turbosmart BOV's...and get very near the same performance without the BOV sounds. You would be closer to $3000 total and you could do it a step or two at a time.
The following users liked this post:
Pass (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 01:36 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 800 Likes on 589 Posts

To be honest the Phase 4 is more popular, maybe its the price point. Then it seems like down the road those guys do the intercooler. I know its hard to trust reviews on our site because we are the seller, but we do have good reviews of the phase 4 kit.

A couple guys on here have done our P4 kit, we will see if they chime in.

Pass (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's bang for the buck you're looking for, just go for the downpipes, intercooler and a tune. While the other items may add a little here and there, these three will give you 90% of the performance for less than half the price.

If you're dead set on the full package, know that:

-The catback and air intake are mainly just for noise (I personally love my AFE intake - most people don't like the sound of an uncorked Ecoboost exhaust, though. Has a similar pitch to a Grand National)

-The throttle body doesn't show worthwhile gains on stock turbos

-The Turbosmart BOV's do nothing for performance, only sound
Pass (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by SpoolinF150
If it's bang for the buck you're looking for, just go for the downpipes, intercooler and a tune. While the other items may add a little here and there, these three will give you 90% of the performance for less than half the price.

If you're dead set on the full package, know that:

-The catback and air intake are mainly just for noise (I personally love my AFE intake - most people don't like the sound of an uncorked Ecoboost exhaust, though. Has a similar pitch to a Grand National)

-The throttle body doesn't show worthwhile gains on stock turbos

-The Turbosmart BOV's do nothing for performance, only sound
Thanks! I had no plans on getting the BOVs. I don't care for the sound lol. I think they have a few videos that give you an idea of the sound. The one on the Freak-O-Boost from Full Race sounds swweeet.

If I do it, I definitely want the Intercooler, downpipes, tune, and air intake.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Definitely the Downpipe, Intercooler and Tune give you the most "Bang for the Buck"...and then to put the cherry on top...add the a Catback 3" Exhaust.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Stage3Motorsports
To be honest the Phase 4 is more popular, maybe its the price point. Then it seems like down the road those guys do the intercooler. I know its hard to trust reviews on our site because we are the seller, but we do have good reviews of the phase 4 kit.

A couple guys on here have done our P4 kit, we will see if they chime in.
Thanks. I noticed a couple of things. In the comments section on the Phase 4 kit, it says "The Horsepower numbers are coming in right around 90-100 extra at the rear wheels..." However, on the Phase 5 kit comments it says 70. Which is correct? I realize there will be variances based on truck, but with mine being 4x4 with 3.73 gears, what range could I expect?

Any idea of the ballpark gains for swapping the throttle body?

I notice in the video on the Phase 4 kit it shows dyno numbers at the beginning of 357.97HP and 385.45TQ and finishing with 378.25HP and 453.75TQ. Are those the actual numbers before and after the install of the Phase 4 kit? This does not seem to be in line with the comments on the site. (Not trying to flame or anything... just asking and trying to get an idea of what I could expect --- as I said... I am not even a journeyman in this arena.)

Thanks, again!!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:54 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 800 Likes on 589 Posts

We were just doing our best to confuse you even more...

The 70 horsepower figure is the correct estimate. Lou was confusing it for torque. Our estimated rear-wheel gains are 70 horsepower and 100lb-ft of torque for the Phase 4 and Phase 5 packages.

The video of the dyno run on the Phase 4 kit shouldn't have been there. That was actually a run using Edge's canned tuning, not 5-Star's custom tuning. The only reason we included it on the listing was because it showed the installation of the BBK throttle body and the charge pipe. However, that was probably a mistake on our part, because it just confused the power gains even more. We've removed the video from the listing for time being and may edit it down just to show the installs.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:29 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stage3Motorsports
We were just doing our best to confuse you even more...

The 70 horsepower figure is the correct estimate. Lou was confusing it for torque. Our estimated rear-wheel gains are 70 horsepower and 100lb-ft of torque for the Phase 4 and Phase 5 packages.

The video of the dyno run on the Phase 4 kit shouldn't have been there. That was actually a run using Edge's canned tuning, not 5-Star's custom tuning. The only reason we included it on the listing was because it showed the installation of the BBK throttle body and the charge pipe. However, that was probably a mistake on our part, because it just confused the power gains even more. We've removed the video from the listing for time being and may edit it down just to show the installs.
Gotcha! Makes sense, now. Definitely edit the vid down, I thought that it was helpful... until I saw the dyno numbers lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stage 3 Motorsports Phase5 kit?