Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

SSinc T5 Street--review

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts
Default SSinc T5 Street--review

Someone asked where the SSi review thread went. We all know it got closed for controversy, etc. Keep this one clean....have question ask it.--- If you want my 100% UN-filtered review it's posted somewhere else.

I'm sure that the mod's don't mind helping other customers being informed, let's just not go overboard and some don't agree---that's why we have a choice in tuners.

I own Unleashed and SSi tunes and if anyone has ever noticed I'll recommend them both as great tunes. I would say confidently that Torrie and Shawn are some of the best in World on the EcoBoost platform. However, T5 is in a league all to it's self.

Let's say all the tuners out there are in the NFL (stay with me here). Well T5 has put every Hall of Famer at their respective positions on the same team. There is NOTHING that it doesn't do well.

I'm all about analogies so bear with me. I've had level 5, T2, T3, T4 and now a taste of T5 and I'm STOKED to tell anyone....if you don't like this tune, you probably wouldn't like anyone's tunes.

The initial throttle input---- Tame in all good ways. I normally run a pretty stout performance tune but the street is a true treat. The thing is controllable at all times but still puts you into the seat as your get into the pedal.

The Power----that's what we all want to know, right??? Rediculous...thing is like a Silverback Gorilla, it will break your neck if you mess with it. From a roll of 25mph it will light the freaking tires up like they are on ice. Warning: Leave on traction control as it takes all of Ford's safety nets to keep you from walking it sideways several feet on the roadway.

<--------THE SHIFTS------> WHERE to even start..... Think of belt driven CVT transmissons...It is damned near seamless. The gears move up and down in the power band and if I wasn't watching them change on my gauge cluster I would have NEVER known the shifts were happening. This is no joke, you really have to pay attention to know that there was a gear change.

The shifts are amazing to say the least. I'm very very impressed with this tune.
The following 8 users liked this post by 13'TwinScrew:
05mustang_tt_charged (01-29-2014), brucesears (01-28-2014), buckslayr (01-30-2014), c-one (01-28-2014), johndeerefarmer (01-29-2014), jwanck11 (01-29-2014), mrpositraction (01-28-2014), Txnolebd (01-28-2014) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Can ´t wait anymore to try this tune .
The t4 was awesome.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by crash_ice
Can ´t wait anymore to try this tune .
The t4 was awesome.
T5 is a lot different from even T4, lol. The shifts are phenomenal---smoother but still quicker than stock----almost don't even know they changed. The power is a lot more on WOT...the truck also maintained 65mph with cruise control effortlessly at around 1600 rpm (I have 20's and 3.55 gears).
Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Sounds nice. You've always done a good job of reviewing tunes without fanboy ing to death. I'll never have the tune but its good for the community to have t5 as an option.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The only things whit the T4 its when i tow it shift sometimes too fast between second and third gear but shawn supposed to fix it.
The low end of T4 are the best . The T5 should be radioactif tunes
Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Joewee3.5
Sounds nice. You've always done a good job of reviewing tunes without fanboy ing to death. I'll never have the tune but its good for the community to have t5 as an option.
Thank you, and I agree. Not all tunes fit everyone...T5 has characteristics that I think a lot broader spectrum of people are going to like....especially the shifting.

Crash_Ice----be prepared the throttle response on the Street Tune is a lot tamer than most T4 tunes. I'm still waiting to get a hold of the performance tune...which is normally what I run DD. The power of T5 is awesome compared to T4 but the throttle response is more tame, IMHO.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that to get the extra "umph"...I'm actually running lower boost numbers than what "I" normally run. They are around the 17-18 range.

Last edited by 13'TwinScrew; 01-28-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

I'll just piggy back off of you!

93 T5 Review
Well let me first say that I was disappointed when Rodney told me there was only one T5 as I really liked my T4 Street and T4 Ice and Snow for different reasons…….but that disappointment quickly disappeared when I first took off with the T5. In FACT, I thought maybe the tune didn’t load correctly as the throttle response was so manageable I thought maybe I had my T4 Street back in.

So 1st thing you will notice is the throttle response and how sophisticated it feels. It is nothing like the straight up T4 at all (which I liked a lot, made me smile, but not for me on the daily driver)……perfect is the only word I can think of to explain how it behaves.

Next thing you will realize is that you are cruising and you completely didn’t feel the shifts. Now, for realz, if you were watching the tach and wanted to know when it shifted, you could probably feel it. But lets get real, it has to shift, but if you were talking, listening to the radio, basically doing anything else besides waiting for shift you wouldn’t feel it. This shifts are again…..perfect. And Shawn isn’t slipping the **** out of the transmission to get this to behave this way (I can only imagine he has cast some sort of spell over my truck……) you lay into the throttle and it is crisp yet very very smooth.

Speaking of leaning into the throttle………”giggle like a school girl” comes to mine. Just like the T4 did with throttle tip in this thing does with transforming from this very streetable luxury feeling behavior to Taxmanian devil, tire smoking, *** end coming around power……I am not play’n here. When others wrote this I thought yeah, ok, your excited and dramatic. Others have said it isn’t for everyone, yeah, whatever……

They were serious. This comes to life and if you aren’t ready for it you will spill your beer (I mean drink). 2WD is useless (unless destroying tires is your thing). I was datalogging so I did a 2WD roll into the throttle, big brother came down and cut power. Ran it through 3rd gear. Slowed down to a stop, 4WD engaged…….errrrrrr…….3 2 1, we have ignition (as the tires cry for help)…..we have lift off. I didn’t even brake boost and my sun roof cover slid back about 2” and my “drink” spilled. Lesson learned, hold onto your drink (you owe me a beer Shawn!)
Here is the great part, it pulled harder and wasn’t running any more boost than my T4 Snow and Ice tune but GOD DAMN did it roll out.

I approve! If I didn’t have to be home making dinner for the family I would still be out destroying my tires (which I just rotated last night, any abnormalities or odd wear from the front tires is fixed LOL).
This tune has it all, in one package. It does everything (except towing, I don’t tow nor did I ask how much you can safely tow with this).

Mrpositraction (and you need posi traction with T5) APPROVED 
The following 3 users liked this post by mrpositraction:
13'TwinScrew (01-28-2014), brucesears (01-28-2014), killerrudy (01-29-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:19 PM

---I've got to get some videos up... The shifts are pretty freaking awesome.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 PM

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

I can only echo what Twin and Posi have posted. I ran T4 performance as a daily driver and at first I thought this thing didn't load correctly. But you better hold on because at about 1/4 throttle this thing turns into a whole different animal. Summed up: less throttle tip in than T4 but immediately turns into more power than T4. Shifting was great with T4 but this is slicker than greased owl crap, can hardly even feel the 1-2 shift. All with no more boost than T4 and same knock retard, AFR and cat temps as T4. Can't wait to drive it more tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM
On The Hunt For A Project

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

We need videos!
The following users liked this post:
jwanck11 (02-05-2014)

Quick Reply: SSinc T5 Street--review