Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Spark Plug Torque on 2012 Ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spark Plug Torque on 2012 Ecoboost?

I have been reading all the forums I can find about the engine "shudder" issue plaguing some Ecoboost F-150 owners. When my truck was stock I never had any issues, loss of power ect..... I ended up buying the SCT tuner as I thought it could be the best and most flexible (Livernois owners please note the flexible part as Livernois was on top of the list for me as well)tuner to add HP and torque. Anyway I bought mine from MPT as they had recently posted some Dyno charts that showed an additional 100 Hp and about 140 ft/lbs of torque which seemed amazing. I installed the custom canned tune from SCT and noticed much better performance including and especially the shifting. I then turned my truck back to stock and let a buddy try the tuner and he loved it however he mentioned that he felt a little bit of "slight shaking" while in WOT. I never noticed it on my truck. After installing it back on my truck I got my custom tunes from MPT(100 hp and 140 ft/lbs of torque) and pulling out of my driveway I was impressed with the way the pedal felt..... I got on to an open road and slammed the gas only to feel the truck lose power under WOT. I then went back on my PC and read the email from MPT in its entirety and it said
"
VERY IMPORTANT ECOBOOST INFO - WOT CUTOUT/MISS FIRE

It is a known fact that Ford gapped the plugs incorrectly on thesetrucks. New trucks from the Factory are now coming with a different part numberplug and gapped at 032. If your plugs are gapped wider than 032 you WILLexperience a feeling of cutting out or a miss fire under hard acceleration.This issue gets worse with custom tunes that add more boost and power outputsuch as our performance tunes.

The resolution if you experience this issue is to check and re-gapyour spark plugs. We recommend .030 for best results on our tunes."

So I am now on a mission to re-gap my plugs to .30 and I found a different forum that suggest while re-gapping to torque them back to 11 Inch Pounds which is practically no torque at all. I have read others here stating 11 ft pounds which would make more sense since none of the auto parts stores carry anything small enough for 11 inch pounds. I just want to verify from someone that has done it successfully that it is 11 Ft pounds before I break a plug on my motor. Thanks.... I am new to the forum although I have been reading it for a year now.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

133 in lb which is about 11 ft lb
The following users liked this post:
Eric7575 (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 06:38 PM

Just what I wanted to hear. Will re gap today as that wrench is a lot easier to do. Thanks again
Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric7575
I have been reading all the forums I can find about the engine "shudder" issue plaguing some Ecoboost F-150 owners. When my truck was stock I never had any issues, loss of power ect..... I ended up buying the SCT tuner as I thought it could be the best and most flexible (Livernois owners please note the flexible part as Livernois was on top of the list for me as well)tuner to add HP and torque. Anyway I bought mine from MPT as they had recently posted some Dyno charts that showed an additional 100 Hp and about 140 ft/lbs of torque which seemed amazing. I installed the custom canned tune from SCT and noticed much better performance including and especially the shifting. I then turned my truck back to stock and let a buddy try the tuner and he loved it however he mentioned that he felt a little bit of "slight shaking" while in WOT. I never noticed it on my truck. After installing it back on my truck I got my custom tunes from MPT(100 hp and 140 ft/lbs of torque) and pulling out of my driveway I was impressed with the way the pedal felt..... I got on to an open road and slammed the gas only to feel the truck lose power under WOT. I then went back on my PC and read the email from MPT in its entirety and it said
"
VERY IMPORTANT ECOBOOST INFO - WOT CUTOUT/MISS FIRE

It is a known fact that Ford gapped the plugs incorrectly on thesetrucks. New trucks from the Factory are now coming with a different part numberplug and gapped at 032. If your plugs are gapped wider than 032 you WILLexperience a feeling of cutting out or a miss fire under hard acceleration.This issue gets worse with custom tunes that add more boost and power outputsuch as our performance tunes.

The resolution if you experience this issue is to check and re-gapyour spark plugs. We recommend .030 for best results on our tunes."

So I am now on a mission to re-gap my plugs to .30 and I found a different forum that suggest while re-gapping to torque them back to 11 Inch Pounds which is practically no torque at all. I have read others here stating 11 ft pounds which would make more sense since none of the auto parts stores carry anything small enough for 11 inch pounds. I just want to verify from someone that has done it successfully that it is 11 Ft pounds before I break a plug on my motor. Thanks.... I am new to the forum although I have been reading it for a year now.

Interested to hear how it turns out for you. On my 2011 with 55k+ miles, I felt hesitation for the first time after I added a tune. Acting on good advice from people that know about this stuff, I bought new Motorcraft SP-534 plugs, gapped them to 0.028" and the hesitation was gone across the entire power band - both with the tune and on stock too.

Of the six plugs I pulled, the gaps ranged from 0.027 to 0.040, and no two were the same. This is how it came from Ford - bad quality control Ford!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Question

This is how far I got before I broke a small piece of plastic from the wiring clip. It still clips on no problem, so I am not too worried. I did manage to figure out how to take off the rest of them without breaking them. What next.....? I did remove the bolt holding the coil pack down and tugged on it a bit but as it did not come out and I had already broken something I chickened out until I can get some more advice. I wish there was a full youtube video....There was a small 18 sec clip showing how to remove the clip that I broke which helped. In my previous spark plug change on a different vehicle the coil packs(I believe that is what the part is called but see arrow in picture) would come off with a slight tug. This one did not and I got scared of breaking something.....again
Attached Thumbnails Spark Plug Torque on 2012 Ecoboost?-20130922_192515_resized_1.jpg   Spark Plug Torque on 2012 Ecoboost?-20130922_193020_resized_1.jpg  
Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric7575
This is how far I got before I broke a small piece of plastic from the wiring clip. It still clips on no problem, so I am not too worried. I did manage to figure out how to take off the rest of them without breaking them. What next.....? I did remove the bolt holding the coil pack down and tugged on it a bit but as it did not come out and I had already broken something I chickened out until I can get some more advice. I wish there was a full youtube video....There was a small 18 sec clip showing how to remove the clip that I broke which helped. In my previous spark plug change on a different vehicle the coil packs(I believe that is what the part is called but see arrow in picture) would come off with a slight tug. This one did not and I got scared of breaking something.....again
The red clip is a safety lock. You have to twist the top of the coil while pulling up. The worst that will happen is you break a boot.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 PM

Snowflake,

Do I tug on the black piece with the arrow (I think its called a coil pack)? Or do I spin it out or something..... I did remove the bolt that holds it down but when I tried pulling it out it did not come out...(I already broke something so I decided to go with a very cautious and gentle approach).
Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Grab it and twist till it breaks loose then twist and pull straight out.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Grab it and twist till it breaks loose then twist and pull straight out.

Did you have to use the term "breaks" LOL. I will give it a try.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Yeah well that's the only way to describe it I guess, but in any event if you tear the rubber boot you can replace just that part.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Torque on 2012 Ecoboost?