Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Spark Advance on a Ti-VCT 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Spark Advance on a Ti-VCT 5.0L

Bought a tuner (which allows for -4 to +4 spark adjustments). I run 93 octane. For the older EFI engines (for light duty and performance purposes[not for better milage purposes]), spark advance for my purposes - by say 2* - is a good thing after doing aftermarket CAI intake/exhaust.

On these newer Ti-VCT 5.0L engines, will the ECU adjust for optimal performance as it 'learns' my driving habits, or, is spark advance a good thing?

On my previous race car, for every 50 hp increase of nitrous, rule-of-thumb was to up the spark advance by 2*. But, I'm speaking here on a N/A engine with the current Ti-VCT engine management. I don't pull or haul anything. Any knowledgeable certified Coyote mechanics or tuners out there who can advise me on this?
Old 12-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

When running nitrous, the rule is for every 50 hp, you decrease the timing advance 2 degrees. It has been a big No No to increase spark advance globally on these coyote engines on pump gas.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02reaper
When running nitrous, the rule is for every 50 hp, you decrease the timing advance 2 degrees. It has been a big No No to increase spark advance globally on these coyote engines on pump gas.
Yeah, you're right ... sorry, been out of that scene for about 5 years now. Gettin' too old to remember. Or, could be I don't want to remember ... as far as I allowed racing to put me in the hole. I sure miss going to the track at times.

I'll leave the canned tune with no spark advance unless others chime in and convince me otherwise. No experience here with Ti-VCT, so, I think the ECU is going to adjust for both economy and performance, whether I add timing or not.

Quick Reply: Spark Advance on a Ti-VCT 5.0L