Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Should the Eco make me nervous?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should the Eco make me nervous?

First let me apologize as the more time in spend on the forum I read many passionate takes on their engine of choice.
We are going to be making a purchase in the very near future and think my wife is thinking about an ecoboost.
I recently looked at a '14 screw xlt with a 3.5 that has 30k km on it.
Dealership is asking $32 for it, has a 301a package, white platinum metallic, no nav or moon roof.
Really sharp looking truck but being almost three years old I am looking more long term at this truck being sound enough to last six or seven years without any major issues.
We haven't taken a test drive yet and if someone could maybe give a heads up as to any noises or quirks to set of red flags would really appreciate it.

Chris
Old 10-15-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Ask for an overnight test drive. Drive it home, park it for 16 hrs overnight, and see if it rattles when it starts the next morning
Old 10-15-2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
Ask for an overnight test drive. Drive it home, park it for 16 hrs overnight, and see if it rattles when it starts the next morning
I would and that is a great idea except we live more than an hour from the dealership (maybe worth a shot none the less).
I take it your referencing the timing chain issue that had been well documented?
I'm fairly aware of that issue from the reading I've done but the only other prevalent issue I've heard of would be the moisture build up in the intercooler mind you I doubt know if that would provide a warning or not.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chris0418
I would and that is a great idea except we live more than an hour from the dealership (maybe worth a shot none the less).
I take it your referencing the timing chain issue that had been well documented?
I'm fairly aware of that issue from the reading I've done but the only other prevalent issue I've heard of would be the moisture build up in the intercooler mind you I doubt know if that would provide a warning or not.
http://erinwoodford.com/view/used-2014-ford-f-150-106097/
Link to the vehicle is attached I'd love to get any good or negative feedback.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Guess it depends how good of a relationship you have with the dealer. Mine is 45 min away, they let me take it 2 days. I hooked it up to 3 different trailers and put about 200 miles on it before deciding I wanted it. And yes, for the timing chain issue. I wouldn't worry about the condensation issue that can be fixed with a simple small hole. Timing chain would be my #1 concern buying used, getting it fixed out of warranty is a major expense
Old 10-15-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 1,284 Likes on 902 Posts

It wouldn't make me nervous, but I ended up with the 5.0. If you NEED the 3.5 to tow heavier loads, especially in mountains, it is the best way to go. If you don't tow heavier loads then the 5.0 may be the better option.

Long term it is impossible to say which engine will work best. But I've found that everything else being equal you can buy more truck for the same money with the 5.0, it gets the same fuel mileage and will easily tow more than most people will pull.

Pay attention to axle ratios. When I was shopping for 2012-2014 trucks every single used 3.5 I found had 3.31 gears. Every single 5.0 had 3.55's and that difference pretty much cancelled out the more powerful 3.5 engine.

I ended up buying a 2014 with the 5.0 and 17,000 miles for exactly the same money as an identical 2013 with the 3.5 and 27,000 miles. That was 10,000 miles ago and I have no doubts I made the right call.

If I pulled heavier loads I'd have held out for a 3.5 with 3.55 gears.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:26 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

When you read these forums you find a lot of doom and gloom. Remember they are here for people to talk about problems. Not many people come on here to talk about how they love their trucks. Learn from these sites but dont take it that every truck has these issues.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:44 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Any engine will have concerns. Ford has sold over a million EB and it is in the 2017 Raptor. They must have confidence in it. I too bought a used 2014 EB with about 33K miles. I went with the extended warranty to cover me if there are issues. May want to consider that. I have had zero issues with the engine.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
When you read these forums you find a lot of doom and gloom. Remember they are here for people to talk about problems. Not many people come on here to talk about how they love their trucks. Learn from these sites but dont take it that every truck has these issues.
You're right. I love my EB and will buy another one when in the market. Bought mine brand new BTW and now have 76K miles. Had Ford replace a faulty throttle body once and changed the plugs myself at 50K miles as a precaution. Change the oil with 5W20 Motorcraft Syn Blend every 5K miles and clean and lightly re-oil my K&N air filter every 15-20K... runs as new if not better, pulls my loaded up 22' wakeboard boat or 24' enclosed car trailer and show car with a bed full of tools like it's not even back there. Part throttle response and effortless acceleration is the real difference--drove my brother's '13 5.0 and it felt like a slug (no offense 5.0 guys... ).
Old 11-04-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Please tell me you're not using 5W20 and that was just a mis type.

Quick Reply: Should the Eco make me nervous?