Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

SCT device updater issues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Default SCT device updater issues...

Been having issues with my 5* p/t tune. It just doesn't feel like it used to. The 3015 tuner says its loaded but it feels like the canned tune. Reloaded and no change. Tried the 5* 87 p/t and it definitely has that low end torque. I believe the tune or tuner was corrupted sometime after going to the 10 tune update.

So no big deal, I decided to hook the tuner up to the PC and remove the 91 5* p/t and try reloading it. I hooked it up and it said there was a software update. So I updated. But after it would not let me into my custom tune file folder to remove/reload the custom tunes.

Since the tunes were still on the tuner, I did go out and reloaded the 5* 87 p/t tune. When I did however, the windshield wipers went off like they were stuck on intermittent the entire 12 minutes of download. Even though the truck displays were totally dark. This may have been my fault as my automatic wipers didn't get shut off. But it has never done it before and the tune ended up loading fine. The whole deal was strange though.

This was a week ago and instead of calling SCT like I should of, I thought of giving them a week to see if there was a fix. Tried again today and still no luck.

Anybody else try doing a update in the last week and if so, did you have any issues?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

My wipers do the same thing while tuning with the canned SCT tunes. And I also have to reset the power running boards to auto, but the tunes work great. Been the same since I got it, even before the update. Me and several other members have noticed in previous threads that if you don't drive fairly aggressive eventually the PCM will adapt and power will seem to go down. If I drive a little more 'spirited' it seems to keep the power up.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:48 PM

Strange about the wipers. Mine didn't do it until the last upgrade. The power running boards have always shut off after, but have gotten used to turning them back on. As far as the adaptive learning, I have loaded the tunes probably 30 times and am used to the slight loss of power over time. But the 5* 91 p/t tune currently feels like a dog from the get go compared to the 87 p/t tune. Think I can get it corrected if the software will let me remove and then readd the tunes on the tuner. I will contact SCT next week and see what they can do. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

How many tanks of 91 have u ran could be a bad batch of gas or mix of old 87 gas
Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by frdrdr4life
How many tanks of 91 have u ran could be a bad batch of gas or mix of old 87 gas
Truck only gets 91 octane, all ethanol free gas, unless I'm traveling and can't find it. Probably 3 tanks run through all with the same performance. Didnt think of it being poor fuel but I don't believe its a gas issue in this case.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Did you flash stock before you update the tuner? Anytime your gonna flash the tuner with an update flash to stock before.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by CoreyMS
Did you flash stock before you update the tuner? Anytime your gonna flash the tuner with an update flash to stock before.
Yes sir I did.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

I was under the impression that flashing back to stock was no longer necessary??
Old 06-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i had an issue a few weeks ago where i loaded a custom tune with the 3015 SCT device (first time after getting the device) and then couldn't return to stock or load any other tune (even the one i had already loaded into the truck).

SCT had me update the firmware of the 3015. even though the software says to make sure to return the vehicle to stock before updating the firmware, SCT told me that wasn't necessary (i had saved the factory load onto me computer).

after updating the firmware, i was able to reload my truck back to stock along with the custom or preloaded tunes.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 13'TwinScrew
I was under the impression that flashing back to stock was no longer necessary??
If you change tunes on your truck from a modified tune to another modified tune(e.g. 87 SCT canned tune to 5* 87 p/t tune) there is no need to go to stock tune between these modified tunes. Just load the one you want.

What we are referring to is if you are hooking up the handheld tuner to your PC ,make sure your truck goes back to the stock tune BEFORE connection to the PC. That way if there is a software or firmware upgrade and things go to crap during the process(damaged/corrupt tuner), your truck has the stock tune loaded and saved until things get ironed out. There may be other reasons to go back to stock before the update, but this is the most obvious one I can think of. It truly is a pain in the azz to do it every time. I am starting to come to the conclusion that if things are working fine, don't even bother checking for updates for the tuner. Just leave it alone.

Last edited by Rockhopper; 06-02-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: SCT device updater issues...