Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

scratch on headlight lens

Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default scratch on headlight lens

anyone wet sanded headlight lenses? i'm not sure how, but i have some big scratches on the passenger side headlight lense of my 2011 fx4.

i'm a little bummed, although they don't seem to be deep... my fingernail doesn't snag as i rub across them.

any good suggestions would be helpful.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

you should just get one of those kits for foggy lenses, they come with (i believe) 1500,2000 grit and then a polishing compound

A "plastics engineer" on here told me that to preserve your lense, a regular carnuba wax would be fine for your headlights. That makes me wonder if a polish or slightly more aggressive wax would get the scratches out before trying to sand them out.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks for the response matt.

i bought a meguiars lense repair kit today. it comes with all the things you've listed. i figure i'll give that a try. oddly enough, my dad's been in the plastics industry for 40 years (i don't know why i didn't ask him before) and he was explaining that they used to buff marks out of refrigerator bins with a buffer and plastic polish (very fine polish like what comes with the meguiars kit).

i'm kind of pissed i'm repairing a lense on a BRAND NEW TRUCK, but i've had a lot of problems with it and i think one of the techs leaned over the engine bay and nicked it with their belt. i have no proof though.

Originally Posted by matt99
you should just get one of those kits for foggy lenses, they come with (i believe) 1500,2000 grit and then a polishing compound

A "plastics engineer" on here told me that to preserve your lense, a regular carnuba wax would be fine for your headlights. That makes me wonder if a polish or slightly more aggressive wax would get the scratches out before trying to sand them out.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headlight lens scratch repair

Originally Posted by BE25FX4
i bought a meguiars lense repair kit today. it comes with all the things you've listed.
I'd like to know which Meguiar's lens repair kit you are referring to. I have a light scratch (can't feel it with my fingernail) on my 2013 F-150 passenger side headlight lens that I'd like to buff or polish out if possible.

Thanks!
RoadReptile

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: scratch on headlight lens