Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

RPM Surge

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default RPM Surge

Reinstalled my Boss 302 intake on,5 Star 91 Performance /Tow Tune.The problem is when I come to a stop there is a surge in the ideal from 600 rpm jumps to any where from 800-1000 causing the truck to jerk forward.MAF sensor was replaced(OEM 2 different) still doing it.Just wondering if anyone has had this issue with the Boss intake and the 5 Star Tune.The Guys at 5 Star are no help.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the 5 Star Tune and mine does the same thing. I am not sure if it is actually because of the tune or not. I had the engine completely replaced at 32k miles and ever since then the truck has had a very rough idle and it will surge when stopped. I have been to the dealer 4 times and actually shown them what was going on, but of course they just chalk it up to "normal" conditions. I have been driving the truck for 1 year now like this hoping it would work it self out but it has not. I am fixing to just dump the truck and never look back.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by deedlebag
I have the 5 Star Tune and mine does the same thing. I am not sure if it is actually because of the tune or not. I had the engine completely replaced at 32k miles and ever since then the truck has had a very rough idle and it will surge when stopped. I have been to the dealer 4 times and actually shown them what was going on, but of course they just chalk it up to "normal" conditions. I have been driving the truck for 1 year now like this hoping it would work it self out but it has not. I am fixing to just dump the truck and never look back.
What tuner you got? Try a misfire monitor neutral profile correction relearn. Any time there is major engine work, this should be performed. Dealer should have done it after the engine replacement, but you never know. You need an x4 or livewire to do it
Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
What tuner you got? Try a misfire monitor neutral profile correction relearn. Any time there is major engine work, this should be performed. Dealer should have done it after the engine replacement, but you never know. You need an x4 or livewire to do it
My tuner is neither of those unfortunately. I wonder if there is another way. I know most people just say to take it up to a dealership, but after a certain point I have just become so sick and tired of that. It is so exhausting dealing with them when I have to work and other priorities.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by deedlebag
My tuner is neither of those unfortunately. I wonder if there is another way. I know most people just say to take it up to a dealership, but after a certain point I have just become so sick and tired of that. It is so exhausting dealing with them when I have to work and other priorities.
The dealer can do it buts it's about $200 for a 5 min job. If you know anyone with one of those tuners they could unmarry from their vehicle so you could do it quick on yours
Old 08-23-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
The dealer can do it buts it's about $200 for a 5 min job. If you know anyone with one of those tuners they could unmarry from their vehicle so you could do it quick on yours
Thanks for the heads up. More than likely though I will not bother with either. I refuse to pay more money to the dealership to fix a truck that should not be broken and I just have giving up all effort in even wanting to deal with it. And I cannot see buying another tuner or tracking one down in the "hopes" that it will be fixed. So I am extremely close to just buying a new vehicle. I'll either go with a 2017 F150 or try something completely different and buy the 2017 Volvo XC90 in R Design. I am really liking the XC90 and my needs have changed.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Stock

Does it happen when you guys are on the stock tune?
Old 08-23-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by violinguy77
Does it happen when you guys are on the stock tune?
Yes mine does.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:34 AM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Have you tried cleaning your Throttle Body? and the idle relearn? You probably have but if not give it a shot.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Koolponycar
Have you tried cleaning your Throttle Body? and the idle relearn? You probably have but if not give it a shot.
I have not tried either. I suppose I will have to do some research and figure those two things out. How much work is involved in both of those?

Quick Reply: RPM Surge