Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Raptor Offroad Modes in a Lariat 6.2L?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Raptor Offroad Modes in a Lariat 6.2L?

Has anyone tried to activate the available Raptor Offroad mode, hill decent, etc in a Lariat/Harley/Platinum with the 6.2L?

The engines, transmission, PCM, etc are all the same. It seems as though you should be able to add the buttons for this, and flash the PCM to enable the new modes.

My truck has the LSD instead of the E-locker, so I wouldn't be able to keep that locked with the offroad mode, but otherwise, I don't see why this isn't able to be activated.

Any thoughts? Anyone tried it yet?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM

Noone has any ideas? I found a previous thread that suggested swapping a Raptor PCM into the truck, but I'm not sure how effective that would be considering the other options that may or may not be present on the new computer and/or original truck. There would still need to be some reflashing to be done to make it all work.

IE: A Raptor PCM might not be flashed to run my TBC, and my truck doesn't have the E-locker, etc.

Someone has to have tried this by now....
Old 11-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Interesting question and idea. I think, based on what the tuners have said regarding their tunes and ORM, that it is an extra 'layer' of code (or program) for the trans shift schedules - so the other 'stuff' is probably an extra program as well - there is a braking component - keeps the brakes from locking up when off road, a stability component - I'm not real clear on this one but it has something to do with pitch and yaw and how the truck reacts to throttle when in a slide (traction control and ABS I think), and airbag sensitivity is lessened so they don't deploy on rough terrain.

If everything is the same, you should be able to pull a dash panel and see if the pigtail is there for the button - if it is, it probably also has the program already in the PCM. It's obvious when it is on so if you have the pigtail and can make it 'hot' you'll be able to tell if it changes the shift schedules - it's kind of like Tow/Haul mode but it holds the RPMs even longer and the throttle becomes lazy so the truck isn't jerking because your foot is bouncing.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by WarSurfer
If everything is the same, you should be able to pull a dash panel and see if the pigtail is there for the button - if it is, it probably also has the program already in the PCM. It's obvious when it is on so if you have the pigtail and can make it 'hot' you'll be able to tell if it changes the shift schedules - it's kind of like Tow/Haul mode but it holds the RPMs even longer and the throttle becomes lazy so the truck isn't jerking because your foot is bouncing.
The button can definitely be added. It's included with the factory upfitter switches on the Raptor console. The harness to add them is plug and play with other F-150s, and there is a blank spot in the fuse box for the upfitter switches, even if your truck doesn't have them.

So I agree with you. It should be similar to adding the TBC, or the Tow/Haul aftermarket tunes, etc. It all has to be in the programming, so there is surely some way to access it.

I'm surprised noone has done it yet, especially the aftermarket tuners. I would think it would be a really popular mod for tuners to sell, if they can access the programming.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Wouldn't you need to change to the Raptor TCCM to get it all to work? I know a couple people have swapped them in non 6.2L trucks.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 05mustang_tt_charged
Wouldn't you need to change to the Raptor TCCM to get it all to work? I know a couple people have swapped them in non 6.2L trucks.
I think this is the case.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/e-lock...ride-mod-83937

^^ long thread but lots of good info on the Raptor TCCM mod - lets non Raptors stay locked at high speed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raptor Offroad Modes in a Lariat 6.2L?