Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Random misfires FORD COULD’T FIX MY TRUCK

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:23 PM

Received 105 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Random misfires FORD COULD’T FIX MY TRUCK

Have a 2011 5.0 f150 with 100k miles. Been at the dealership over a week with multiple calls to ford hotline. Runs rough at idle and slightly misfires at higher speeds under load such as going up a hill. Has p0300, p0305, p0307 codes(all misfire codes). Before this it would “ping” on lower octane fuel. Dealership tried plugs, coils, purge valve, crank sensor, maf sensor and throttle body and they couldn’t fix. Any ideas?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 PM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

That's ridiculous that the dealer has just been throwing parts at your truck instead of tasking the time to diagnose the problem and fix it the first time. Cylinders 5 and 7 are both on bank 2, I would start by checking the exhaust back pressure on this bank and running a leak-down test on cylinders 5 and 7. It may also be advisable to run a leak-down test on all the other cylinders as well, it's not terribly common, but sometimes the codes do indicate the wrong cylinders. I had a Nissan with a melted and cracked coil on cylinder 3 throw a misfire code for cylinder 2. Thinking along those lines I have to ask, when the dealership replaced the plugs and coils, was that just on cylinders 5 and 7, or were all eight plugs and coils replaced?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:20 PM

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by SALEEN961
That's ridiculous that the dealer has just been throwing parts at your truck instead of tasking the time to diagnose the problem and fix it the first time. Cylinders 5 and 7 are both on bank 2, I would start by checking the exhaust back pressure on this bank and running a leak-down test on cylinders 5 and 7. It may also be advisable to run a leak-down test on all the other cylinders as well, it's not terribly common, but sometimes the codes do indicate the wrong cylinders. I had a Nissan with a melted and cracked coil on cylinder 3 throw a misfire code for cylinder 2. Thinking along those lines I have to ask, when the dealership replaced the plugs and coils, was that just on cylinders 5 and 7, or were all eight plugs and coils replaced?

Dealerships no longer know how to diagnose problems. Its been a thorn with me now for some time.
If your truck doesn't throw a code...then according to the dealer, theres nothing wrong with it.

If it does throw a code, then the "tech" cross references the code to the respective fix instructions.
Thats how vehicles are serviced and repaired.

These "techs" are nothing more than slightly trained monkeys!

Theres a real lapse in any form or ability to troubleshoot or attempt at diagnosing a problem and furthermore "techs" don't get their info from you (usually) they get it from the service advisor.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:29 PM

Update! They preformed leak down test, compression check, tested vaccum, and back pressure test. All came out fine. They said possibly the crank itself but they aren’t really sure.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

crank position sensor is probably out of wack. get a SCT x4 tuner, do a crank relearn , it's under special function below clear codes.before you do the relearn make sure you clear the codes and follow the instructions. When I bought my used f150 mine did the same thing. And it fixed it

Last edited by ozracin; 06-19-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by ozracin
crank position sensor is probably out of wack. get a SCT x4 tuner, do a crank relearn , it's under special function below clear codes.before you do the relearn make sure you clear the codes and follow the instructions. When I bought my used f150 mine did the same thing. And it fixed it
Thanks for the info. However they put a crank sensor in it, shouldn’t that have solved that issue or no?
Old 06-20-2019, 07:28 AM

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I would think so, but it’s worth a shot
Old 06-28-2019, 04:22 AM
Bleeds Ford Blue

Received 322 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu Cazzo
Dealerships no longer know how to diagnose problems......
If your truck doesn't throw a code...then according to the dealer, theres nothing wrong with it.

These "techs" are nothing more than slightly trained monkeys!
Ain't that the truth. Two Ford dealers couldn't find the clunk in my 2004 F250's front end. My buddy at Firestone found it in 10 mins and had it fixed 20 later. Diagnosis: Front swaybar link bushings. Found by using the shop's alignment rack (suspension loaded) after a standard four arm post lift revealed nothing (suspension unloaded).

_
Old 07-04-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The dealership can perform a cylinder drop test to find a flakey coil or fi. Can take some time to find more than one misfire, but I've been successful.

Brad
Old 07-07-2019, 10:50 PM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 11rangerZ520
Thanks for the info. However they put a crank sensor in it, shouldn’t that have solved that issue or no?
They should have performed the relearn process for you. It is necessary when replacing the crank sensor. Would throw a code if the relearn procedure wasn't completed.

Last edited by FLXLT; 07-07-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Random misfires FORD COULD’T FIX MY TRUCK