Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Quick question about o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:45 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Quick question about o2 sensors

So I am wanting to put a catless down pipe on my ecoboost, what would happen without the o2 sensors? Would I just get a code, or would there be problems
Old 06-18-2013, 01:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

would throw a code and the 02 sensors for a loop. will need a tune that requires deleting the Rear 02 codes out of the system.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

But would the truck still run right, I am wanting to try it out before I purchase tuning
Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

yes, technically it would run but it is hardly driveable with all the spitting and sputtering it does when you push the gas pedal.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:55 PM
F150 Forum

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

*Disclaimer: this might not work, but it has worked for me in the past, due it at your own risk.
You need to buy two sets of these. Take one and drill it out to about 5/8' (if my memory serves me right). Also you might want a glass of water to drop the drilled out non-fouler in because its super hard steel and it will be HOT. Screw the one you drilled out into the top of the other non drilled non-fouler. Repeat for the other set. Screw the non-foulers into the O2 bungs that are sans catalytic converter/rear bungs, screw the O2 sensor into the non-fouler. It works because it closely mimics a cat in flow and heat. Or....you could buy one of our upcoming tunes that is tuned for catless downpipes.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Mat@Morkindesign.com
*Disclaimer: this might not work, but it has worked for me in the past, due it at your own risk.
You need to buy two sets of these. Take one and drill it out to about 5/8' (if my memory serves me right). Also you might want a glass of water to drop the drilled out non-fouler in because its super hard steel and it will be HOT. Screw the one you drilled out into the top of the other non drilled non-fouler. Repeat for the other set. Screw the non-foulers into the O2 bungs that are sans catalytic converter/rear bungs, screw the O2 sensor into the non-fouler. It works because it closely mimics a cat in flow and heat. Or....you could buy one of our upcoming tunes that is tuned for catless downpipes.
Eb's have wideband O2s, not narrow
Old 06-18-2013, 02:41 PM
F150 Forum

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jcain
Eb's have wideband O2s, not narrow
It still might work.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My truck ran fine, just triggered the light. I did put a tune it a few days after.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

there is misinformation in here:

depends on what OxS you are leaving unhooked. if you unhook/remove the upper (primary OXs) you will have real issues. These are the sensors used to monitor AF Ratio and yes they are wideband; with that being said i do not know of ANY of the DP kits that remove the upper sensors...

if you leave the rears out of the loop you will get a CEL and that is all, the rear OxS ONLY purpose is to check for cat efficiency. THus he will throw a code Cat above or below efficiency typically P0420. Other than that the car will run fine and have the light on the dash.

With that being said, on some cars the spark plug fouler trick has work, i have used it in the past and have used others similar, wayne angle block or sensor spacer like this below.... I have used this on my VWs. Software is the way to go though as these can still be finicky on short repetitive trips.

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/O2-S...cer_p_306.html
Old 06-18-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

most catless pipes have o2 bungs
so you can use o2's and not trhow codes

Quick Reply: Quick question about o2 sensors