Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Pain in the ***** Crank-No start issue

Old 10-02-2018, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pain in the ***** Crank-No start issue

To start, I am an international trucks technician. Second, that means I know diesel and I know Big trucks. I DON"T KNOW THESE little bastards that well.

Here is my problem. My wifes 2014 F150 STX 5.0L, she called me a couple months ago "My truck won't start, I am stranded", "Ok as it not start what is it doing?" was my response. Answer "Not Starting - What the $%&# do you mean?"

So I tell her to try and start it so I can hear. Of course it starts. Fast forward to last week, she leaves for work and sure enough won't start. I try and she just cranks and cranks and if you let go of the key it keeps trying until you turn the key to "off". I tried that a couple more times, finally leave the truck and drive her to work. That night I try again, still no start, I climb under the truck and check all the wires and connections, all good. Try to start it fires right up...WTF right?

Do some google research and find a lot of issues that cause this. The most common (and cheapest) was the Fuel Pump Driver Module, (cheaper as in free - Uncle has the hook up there) Change that and restart the truck several times. It works right up until last night. I am in Arkansas at a Dealer training them and she tries to leave the daycare and sure enough it won't start again, this time after 5 min it started.

So I have 3 occurrences:

First couple months ago lasted 5 min (I am assuming she had same issue then).
Next the other day lasted all day 12+ hours.
Again yesterday lasted maybe 5 min.

I have ordered an adapter for FORscan and got the software. I am hoping there are some codes that will lead me in the right direction. Or if it does this again I might be able to look at live data to see an issue.

My question is. I see it is a common issue with several causes. I'd like to know if anyone has had this and what they did to diagnose the problem. At least with International trucks I know the software and can read all the sensors.

Please can anyone offer some insight on this issue and other common possible causes and/or tests-data I should be looking for when I get the adapter.

Thank you

BTW -- Don't get my frustrated technician comments fool you, I love the little Bastard. It just frustrates me because for 20 years working on Tractor Trailers and such, It was common to be able to access the sensor readings, even with a basic reader.

Last edited by DBarsotta; 10-03-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

The most common "crank, no start" cause for the V8s is Fuse 27. It doesn't blow the fuse, it just melts the terminal. There's a kit to relocate it from Fuse 27 (mini fuse) to Fuse 70 (cartridge fuse), Ford part number EL3Z-14293-A. It's $17 and some change at Amazon. It includes a length of wire with a blade connector that plugs into the Fuse 70 slot, a piece of heat shrink tubing with adhesive to cap off the cut wire going to slot 27, a piece of heat shrink tubing with adhesive to seal up the connection where you solder the new wire to the old one, a 20A cartridge fuse, a sticker noting the relocation to put in the manual, and printed installation instructions.

It's simple enough to install. The worst problems I had were a balky soldering iron and the mosquitoes that were trying to carry me off...
The following users liked this post:
DBarsotta (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Fuse relocation kit at Tasca:
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...nal-el3z14293a

Levittown Ford:
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com...nal-el3z14293a

Looks like they're getting just under $13 for the kit.
The following users liked this post:
DBarsotta (10-03-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pain in the ***** Crank-No start issue