Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Oil Change and Mileage

Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Oil Change and Mileage

Do you guys also notice than your mileage decreases as your oil life is getting old. I usually change mine between 5K and 6K which puts my mileage indicator around 35% to 45% usually. Recently I noticed that my mileage had decreased about 1.5 mpg or so on average. I noticed that the oil life was in the 35% range so it was changed and the mileage came back to normal.

Ive not really noticed this as dramtatic with other vehicles but this is the second oil change that Ive noticed the drop in mileage. I first thought it was mainly due to winter blend gas but this clearly isnt the case.
The following users liked this post:
sniman (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 AM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Haven't noticed and my last oil change was close to the 10k mark.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

Theres nothing normal with these new Ford engines, I cannot believe that a 10k oil change interval can be good for any truck as the mileage increases, oil cooler or not. I changed my oil at 4k and the oil was black. I may just go back to changing every 3-3500miles. It is nice having the oil cooler, especially for towing and summer heat but it makes sense that mileage suffers, just like low tire pressure can rob mileage, or if your air filter is dirty, a/c running will lower mileage. I am happy so far to be getting 17mpg with a max tow,cc,4x4,6.5box truck. Beats my SD. If you want to see your mileage really drop go ahead and try towing something and watch it drop to 10mpg..thats a lovely site!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Edmunds oil change myths:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-...motor-oil.html
The following 2 users liked this post by BCMIF150:
buckslayr (06-19-2013), joe mcmillan (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
Good info and thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 AM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

4. Check the oil on the dipstick. If it's black, change the oil. Experts say this is a myth, as is the related notion that you can identify spent oil by smell. "That is old school," says Kristen Huff, vice president of Blackstone Laboratories in Fort Wayne, Indiana. "Oil is meant to get dark — it means it's doing its job," she says. As GM's Matt Snider says in this video, different additives change the oil's color. The bottom line: Black oil still has plenty of life left in it.

"Black oil still has plenty of life left in it."

I don't like posts like this. Define "Plenty." Does "plenty" mean another 100 miles left? 5,000 miles left? What percentage of oil life is left? Are the additives still good, how much particulate matter is in the oil?

Also: "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

Not always true, if you have a plugged oil filter, it will go into bypass mode AND NOT FILTER ANYTHING.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Truck owner
Theres nothing normal with these new Ford engines, I cannot believe that a 10k oil change interval can be good for any truck as the mileage increases, oil cooler or not. I changed my oil at 4k and the oil was black. I may just go back to changing every 3-3500miles. It is nice having the oil cooler, especially for towing and summer heat but it makes sense that mileage suffers, just like low tire pressure can rob mileage, or if your air filter is dirty, a/c running will lower mileage. I am happy so far to be getting 17mpg with a max tow,cc,4x4,6.5box truck. Beats my SD. If you want to see your mileage really drop go ahead and try towing something and watch it drop to 10mpg..thats a lovely site!
I have nearly 30K on my 12 KR and following the 10K oil change interval it A: Hasn't burned a drop and B: hasn't suffered any ill effects, mileage or otherwise. And yes, I had an oil analysis done after the last change about a month ago with no problems found.

If you wish to waste your own money changing oil every 3-4K more power to you. I won't try to convince anyone to do anything different.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (06-12-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change and Mileage