Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

odd buzzing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Race Red '12 XLT SCrew EB

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default odd buzzing

just the other day my family and I were taking a shopping trip here in MT. A typical winter day in eastern MT of -15, crosswind, and 77miles of interstate to the nearest WalMart. lol. Anyway to cut to the chase, on the return trip we noticed odd buzzing from the engine bay area that we could feel in the floor boards. Not sure what caused it. It was intermittent and only under partial throttle. No power loss that we noticed and when trying to diagnose it seemed the it would go away for a while after hard accelleration. have not experienced it since. Filled up at a station we don't normally use.

any thoughts or similar experience?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We're you in 4wd?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Race Red '12 XLT SCrew EB

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU4TJW
We're you in 4wd?

No, and while trying to figure out the source I first turned off Traction control then stabilitrac(?) but is still made the noise. It sounded much less pronounced than when the TCS kicks in, and lower down.
It was just odd, and to quote my wife, "I would prefer it if our brand new truck did not make noises like that."
Old 10-28-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever figure out what it was?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have noticed the same thing in the Kansas wind. It only happens when thre is a still cross wind and at highway speeds (65+). Mine sounds like it comes from the side facing the cross wind and appears to be in the back cab corner (SCREW). My guess it might be the rubber louvers at the back of the cb between the cab and the bed, when caught by the cross wind at highway speed they will vibrate and cause the buzzng sound. My theory ...................
Old 10-29-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HogFan
I have noticed the same thing in the Kansas wind. It only happens when thre is a still cross wind and at highway speeds (65+). Mine sounds like it comes from the side facing the cross wind and appears to be in the back cab corner (SCREW). My guess it might be the rubber louvers at the back of the cb between the cab and the bed, when caught by the cross wind at highway speed they will vibrate and cause the buzzng sound. My theory ...................

If that were the case, I would think that it would buzz regardless of the rpms. It is a possibility, but I would say this is more a driveline related buzz.

Quick Reply: odd buzzing