Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Need a new turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need a new turbo

Started this week out with no heat in the truck and noticed coolant tank was low. Check around and see the coolant line around the passenger turbo looks like it is seeping a little. I take it to a Ford dealership in my town and they are saying along with the line leaking, they think the passenger turbo is bad and my rear main is leaking. Thank god I have about 1400 miles left on the 36k warranty.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:29 PM

Have any of you other EB owners had to replace a turbo?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:48 PM

Received 368 Likes on 286 Posts

Nope. 95k+ miles.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Mines been seeping out of that turbo line for like 2 years no issues from it though
Old 04-30-2017, 12:31 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Good luck ! When you get it back if it still leaks you know what to do.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:33 AM

I'm just curious how they say the turbo is going out just by looking. I usually don't go to this place but I don't have the time to go where I bought it from. Guess as long as it is under warranty I will be keeping all paperwork and hope for the best.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Ford isn't paid to diagnose. They are paid to replace parts. A real mechanic would replace that line or the fitting or the seal or whatever it is that is causing that to leak. The alleged mechanics will just do what the Ford paperwork says and that's to replace the turbo.

If the turbo itself were bad, you would be having a lot more issues than what you have described. Everything on these is electronic and it would be throwing codes and having underboost issues and all kinds of problems.

I guess on the one hand be happy about no issues with warranty but once it goes past the warranty period, it pays to be extra informed about how some of this works so you don't end up paying for something you don't really need.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:12 PM

Finally got some answers from them. They said they can see coolant coming from the turbo itself so my question was how much got through and burned in the motor. They think not much but I am going to pull plugs and see. I did crawl under and can see the rear main is leaking though so since I still have the warranty I guess so be it. Works out because the oil is close to needing changed. I did put some marks on the turbo just to keep them honest I guess.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:13 AM

This has been a week from hell from this dealership. I drop my truck off Monday at 3:45 pm since I had it scheduled for Tuesday morning. They tell me it will be about 1.5 days to do the rear main and turbo. On my lunch break (Wed) I call them (11:30 am) and they say it will be done at the end of the day. No go. Not done. Am told it will be done mid morning on Thursday because they had to pull the tech off for another project.

I call Today (Thur) on my lunch and now am being told it will hopefully be done by the end of the day. They are telling me the turbo was leaking around the case externally and now there is a fitting they had to order the day before due to a leak. I get told by 5:30 I will have it.

4:45 I stop before my boys baseball practice and it is close. They need to button it up and circulate the coolant and can drop it off with me. At 5:40 I get the "bad news" call. The crossover line for coolant was ruptured by them and now they have to try and "emergency" parts from ford to try and get it fixed for tomorrow.

I now have a 1.5 day fix going on 4 if the part comes in and could be 6-7 if it doesn't come in this next morning. I hope a Ford Service rep pms me here because I am not giving all of the details here online but am beyond pissed right now since the last screw up was out of my control.

Last edited by tman1257; 05-12-2017 at 12:34 AM.