Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Need help from the tuner gurus

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Need help from the tuner gurus

So this past Sunday I got around to gapping my plugs to .030 because my 5* tune was misfiring at wot. That fixed the misfires. Well yesterday my truck started running funny.
Situation. In third gear, low rpm range and giving gradual acceleration I get some surging then after a few seconds my trucks finds it's sweet spot. Fired up the handy torque app and checked for misfires. No misfires no codes. Something told me to monitor the timing. Sure enough, timing would drop to -15 until I had to give it more gas then it bumped up to the normal range. At wot adv timing is around 4-0. (Scratching my head).
Looks like this started happening after the ecu finished completing all the test from uploading the tune.
So I did an ecu reset and the issue is gone.
Has anyone experienced this with a 5 star tune(87 perf-tow)? Or know wtf is going on?
This problem does not exist stock. Thanks in advance
Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by brettd4x4
So this past Sunday I got around to gapping my plugs to .030 because my 5* tune was misfiring at wot. That fixed the misfires. Well yesterday my truck started running funny.
Situation. In third gear, low rpm range and giving gradual acceleration I get some surging then after a few seconds my trucks finds it's sweet spot. Fired up the handy torque app and checked for misfires. No misfires no codes. Something told me to monitor the timing. Sure enough, timing would drop to -15 until I had to give it more gas then it bumped up to the normal range. At wot adv timing is around 4-0. (Scratching my head).
Looks like this started happening after the ecu finished completing all the test from uploading the tune.
So I did an ecu reset and the issue is gone.
Has anyone experienced this with a 5 star tune(87 perf-tow)? Or know wtf is going on?
This problem does not exist stock. Thanks in advance
Pulling from the wrong timing tables. Im not expert but Shawn at SoCal tuning did my current tune and we eliminated all surging and "dead spots" throughout the RPM range via adjusting where the truck pulls from the timing tables (what that means, I do not know - but he fixed it).

Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by lanmorga
Pulling from the wrong timing tables. Im not expert but Shawn at SoCal tuning did my current tune and we eliminated all surging and "dead spots" throughout the RPM range via adjusting where the truck pulls from the timing tables (what that means, I do not know - but he fixed it).

Thanks for your input. I just can't wrap my head why the tune was fine for a few days and then it started doing this. And now after resetting the ecu everything seems fine again. I'd hate to spend more money on another tune and have the same issue.
Someone would have to convince me y this is happening first
Old 05-22-2013, 09:31 PM

Thanks for your input. I just can't wrap my head why the tune was fine for a few days and then it started doing this. And now after resetting the ecu everything seems fine again. I'd hate to spend more money on another tune and have the same issue.
Someone would have to convince me y this is happening first
Im assuming that the truck fills the tables I mentioned with data after being reset. Since it is pulling from the wrong tables for consistent spark advance, the truck will keep re-learning it's bad habit of surging. Purely an assumption - Has it come back more than once?

If you want a tune that huals like a bat out of hell and a tuner (as in a person that writes the tune) that will modify your tune until it is EXACTLY how you like it then hit up Shawn at SoCal, Its what I run and I have had MPT and Unleashed as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Im assuming that the truck fills the tables I mentioned with data after being reset. Since it is pulling from the wrong tables for consistent spark advance, the truck will keep re-learning it's bad habit of surging. Purely an assumption - Has it come back more than once?

If you want a tune that huals like a bat out of hell and a tuner (as in a person that writes the tune) that will modify your tune until it is EXACTLY how you like it then hit up Shawn at SoCal, Its what I run and I have had MPT and Unleashed as well.
You should really stop trying to give tuning advice/assumptions.

And for Pete's sake, come up for air...
Old 05-22-2013, 09:42 PM

I should know in a few days if it happens again. If it does i guess a good test would be to load the canned tunes and see if it does the same thing. Then go from there.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by jcain
You should really stop trying to give tuning advice/assumptions.

And for Pete's sake, come up for air...
said I was assuming - didn't say I knew. I had the same surging and I had it fixed via the method I described. Therefore, why not say so?

Shawn fixed my surging so if he speaks to mike and doesn't get it fixed, im pointing him in the right direction.

Everyone is now getting Unleashed so my advice cant be that horrible. My post at least attempted to help while yours was not useful at all - do you even have an ecoboost? Looks like you have a trailer and a BBQ, what that has to do with an F150 forum I do not know.

Sorry for helping

Last edited by lanmorga; 05-22-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 PM

I should know in a few days if it happens again. If it does i guess a good test would be to load the canned tunes and see if it does the same thing. Then go from there.
Sounds like a good low-hassle and FREE method to me - go for it. If it comes back after "re-learning" and then goes away with the canned, let JCain know, Mmk? Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 01:18 AM

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

----my uneducated stab---

I'm am thinking that re-gapping your plugs probably means that now you need to re-adjust the tunes based on being able to take more advance. The truck will calibrate it self and add some timing as well as pull timing even when tuned. I would datalog a run and compare them to old logs if you did it. I have found that using my SCT to datalog is a whole lot more informative than just checking knock with Tq Pro.

Side note, after re-tuning did you notice any "gray codes". I am still trying to figure out how long these things take to disappear.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by 13'TwinScrew
----my uneducated stab---

I'm am thinking that re-gapping your plugs probably means that now you need to re-adjust the tunes based on being able to take more advance. The truck will calibrate it self and add some timing as well as pull timing even when tuned. I would datalog a run and compare them to old logs if you did it. I have found that using my SCT to datalog is a whole lot more informative than just checking knock with Tq Pro.

Side note, after re-tuning did you notice any "gray codes". I am still trying to figure out how long these things take to disappear.
Yes I get 7 gray codes everytime and they dont come back after I clear them

Quick Reply: Need help from the tuner gurus