Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Need Help: 2013 5.0 Stalling at full speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Need Help: 2013 5.0 Stalling at full speed

Need some help figuring out an ongoing issue ive been having with my truck. It's a 2013 5.0 FX4 with 64k miles. Ive had the truck for a year and a half now.

1 month ago the truck randomly threw the battery light on the dash, went on amd off for a day, went off and stayed gone. Fast forward a few weeks, my wife drives the truck on a 850 mile trip to Michigan amd back, it decides to aputter and miss and stall on the highway at 70mph am hour from home. Check over the truck, nothing is wrong, starts back up fine and goes on the remainder of the 850 mile trip without a single problem. Fast forward to yesterday, and the truck does it to me this time. 1 mile away from wotk, where I left, and it loses power, no throttle at all, throws a battery light and wrench light and check engine, pull over and it won't start back up immediately this time. After a few minutes of trying....it starts up. 2 miles later, does it again at 70mph on the highway. I pull over, turn all electronics off, starts back up perfectly fine and makes the remainder of the 20 mile drive home without any issues.

Pulled the battery, voltage and cold cranking amps test perfectly fine.

The only correlation I can make on all of this is damp weather. It was either raining or had rained that day when these events happened. Anyone know of a common electrical connector that could get wet that would cause this to happen? Or could this be a bad batter thats shorting out?

Any ideas? Throttle body issue? Not sure where to go with it except to buy a new battery and cross my fingers!
Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

First thing I'd check are all connections to the battery as well as all the grounds, to be sure everything is making good contact.

After that...Had a similar problem on a 4.6L...turned out the battery cables were corroded to about 8" away from the battery, underneath the insulation. Cut and peel back the insulation and see if that might be your issue.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

check fuse# 27 under hood fuse box.....fuel pump fuse that melts due to bad contact - there is a rework kit that relocates the fuse and uses a larger style fuse!!
The following users liked this post:
RedsRock302 (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank you, it ended up just being fuse #27. I installed the relocation kit and all is good now!
Old 12-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excellent tip

Originally Posted by oxford-fx4
check fuse# 27 under hood fuse box.....fuel pump fuse that melts due to bad contact - there is a rework kit that relocates the fuse and uses a larger style fuse!!
Got stuck on I10 by Tallahassee, looked this up, changed fuse, rolling again.
Grateful
Old 12-08-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by James Heath
Got stuck on I10 by Tallahassee, looked this up, changed fuse, rolling again.
Grateful
You may wanna install the relocation kit as well. Eventually the issue will occur again and the fuse may melt the fuse box. If it melts, you won't be able to simply pop another fuse in.

Last edited by FLXLT; 12-08-2018 at 09:24 PM.