Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Need Advice

I was planning on getting a 2013 model but have found a couple of 2012 trucks that I may consider and was hoping to get some input.

Both trucks include:
2012 SCREW FX4 157" WB
Oxford White
Luxury Pkg
FX Running Boards
Trailer Brake Controller
Tailgate Step

The differences:

Truck #1 has the 5.0L and 18" wheels.

Truck #2 has the EB and 20" wheels, costs about $1,700 more than Truck #1.

My questions/concerns/issues:

Ideally, I was hoping to find a 5.0L with the 20" wheels. I really wanted this combo but cannot find it unless I add Nav and Moonroof - I really don't want these options.

I must admit, I am nervous about the EB motor - the condensation issues, turbo's in general, etc. If I can overcome this, I would probably spring for the 2nd truck.

For those who had the same issue, did you decide to take the plunge on the EB or draw the line and stand pat on the 5.0L.

I should mention that towing for me is a non-issue. I don't tow anything heavier that the base engine 3.7L V6 couldn't haul.

Also, please no flame wars on what engine is better. I've read enough of the battles here. I want to focus on the V8 mentality that I have and whether it is something I should let go of and why.

I appreciate any insight you guys can provide.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 09-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOval5.0
I was planning on getting a 2013 model but have found a couple of 2012 trucks that I may consider and was hoping to get some input.

Both trucks include:
2012 SCREW FX4 157" WB
Oxford White
Luxury Pkg
FX Running Boards
Trailer Brake Controller
Tailgate Step

The differences:

Truck #1 has the 5.0L and 18" wheels.

Truck #2 has the EB and 20" wheels, costs about $1,700 more than Truck #1.

My questions/concerns/issues:

Ideally, I was hoping to find a 5.0L with the 20" wheels. I really wanted this combo but cannot find it unless I add Nav and Moonroof - I really don't want these options.

I must admit, I am nervous about the EB motor - the condensation issues, turbo's in general, etc. If I can overcome this, I would probably spring for the 2nd truck.

For those who had the same issue, did you decide to take the plunge on the EB or draw the line and stand pat on the 5.0L.

I should mention that towing for me is a non-issue. I don't tow anything heavier that the base engine 3.7L V6 couldn't haul.

Also, please no flame wars on what engine is better. I've read enough of the battles here. I want to focus on the V8 mentality that I have and whether it is something I should let go of and why.

I appreciate any insight you guys can provide.

Thanks,
Eric
If you aren't into towing and you are worried then don't get the Eco. However, there are the majority of Eco's that aren't having any problems and it is a wonderful engine and a pleasure to drive.
Could that 1700 diff go towards 20's for the other truck?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:23 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Do what makes you happy. You could potentially buy the 20's outright on your own, second hand or otherwise. I wouldn't draw a line over the rims, people usually sale them for around 1500 bucks but its not instantaneous that you'll have them.

As far as eco problems...I have never had a issue, with more than enough opportunity's to do so. Both engines have had horror stories. Mechanical failures are a given, sale a million or so, there has got to be a few to have issue. This is why it comes with a warrenty.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

If you want a 5.0 with 20's you could always get the one with the 18's, sell the 18's and then buy some 20's. Nice thing about doing this is you can shop around and get some unique rims that fit your tastes. Just a thought.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy the 5.0 and put whatever wheels you want on it. For me, the deal-breaker would be (and was) the wheels. No way I'm paying extra for factory wheels.

The ecoboost is great, but depending on how you drive you may not get the mileage you expect. I love my Eco, but if I did it again, I would probably get the 5.0 and pocket the $1750. Maybe I'll feel different if/when I put a tuner and exhaust on it. I do like how quiet the Eco is.

Since you are coming into the end of the model year, you're going to find many, many trucks that have options you don't want. It's partly to clear out the parts, and partly because they have high margins, so the dealer can give you a better deal and still make bank.

You're in a good position; either way, you will get a great truck. Happy Hunting!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

It sounds like you are wanting the EB, but are leery because of the shudder issue that some have gotten. My best piece of advice is to either try to get the dealer to let you drive the EB for a whole weekend to see how you like it or try to rent one. Some dealerships have their own in house rental departments. A $25-40 a day rental may seem like much, but is well worth it putting you at ease knowing you made an informed decision without regrets. Some people say they have test drove both and feel no difference and I say bullsh*t because there is very noticeable differences in normal driving. Get the feel of both and how much throttle is needed to accelerate at the same pace, and where both are at in their rpms to give you that power feel. Notice what rpms both change gears and and how sluggish or powerful they feel when changing gears. Notice the downshifts and what grades or amount of throttle causes downshifts. At wide open throttle, there is not much difference in feel between the two. However there is a very noticeable difference at tenth, quarter, and half throttle where you will spend most of your driving time. After testing out both and driving them back to back on the same roads while noticing what I previously stated then I am sure you will come to an informed decision on which one feels better to you.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

I love the 5.0! Get out, you won't be disappointed.

If the bigger hoops are what you want, and the dealer to change them out. They do this all the time. Personally I don't like the look or the firmer ride you get from having less rubber between the wheel and the ground.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I prefer the sound of a throaty V8. The EB is just too quiet for me.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found the 5.0 to be loud and not pleasant. Went with the eco because it is quiet like a luxury car, quick like no truck I've ever had, and the eco engine is holding its value on the NADA guides for used. Plus I love the Black 20's as part of the appearance package.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ncgator8
I prefer the sound of a throaty V8. The EB is just too quiet for me.
I'm with you......unfortunately I ended up with an ecoboost and now I never get a chance to stay behind a 5.0 long enough to enjoy the sound

Quick Reply: Need Advice