Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

My SOLO 4" EB Catback Install & Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Default My SOLO 4" EB Catback Install & Review

Given SOLO's reputation for having great sounding exhausts and their ability to eliminate drone from most vehicles, I contacted them a few months ago about building a catback for both the EB and the 5.0. Thankfully they listened and have come forward and offered this great group buy for us so I was one of the first to buy and get on the list.

It arrived yesterday in a box that my secretary described as "a coffin" and is not light at 55lbs. Took it home and unfortunately didn't have a chance to install last night, but spent about 2 hours today doing the install myself on the floor in my garage with no lift whatsoever.

There are three bolts that you need to remove to get the catback off. The ball and socket flange at the Y pipe has two 14mm bolts and the clamp holding the resonator to the flex pipe is 15mm. Those came off relatively easy for me and the front section came out. However because my truck is 2wd and I have lowered mine by leveling it 2" in the rear, the exhaust wasn't coming out without being cut up. Once I cut the tail pipe off and raised the truck up a bit, it came out and the full 4" system went in without issue.

Note: If you have a 2 piece driveshaft with the bearing in the middle, the J pipe might hit it at first. I have an email to Steve @ SOLO to make sure they clock the J pipe just about another 3/4" closer to the exhaust and away from the driveshaft. This took 10 seconds to do myself, but wanted those to be aware for anyone who might be doing this as well.

Initial Impressions: The idle and cruising sound of this exhaust is excellent. It has a nice deep tone and a little whirring to it that you can hear from the turbos themselves. In the higher RPM range it does get a little more raspy and high pitched, but not any more than I would have expected. Some think it sounds terrible, but to each his own. I think it sounds great and I'm sure it will get deeper over time as some who have this have already mentioned.

All in all I would definitely recommend this exhaust and will always recommend SOLO. They have excellent service and a great product.

On to the pictures:

SOLO laying next to stock exhaust and makes it look so tiny

Front section where it bolts to the Y pipe. J pipe in this section as well

Here is the clearance I was talking about. In this picture I have moved the J pipe less than an inch towards the exhaust pipe to ensure it doesn't bump or rub the center bearing of the driveshaft

Big *** muffler/resonator

And a couple of shots of the tailpipe and how it fits very nicely against the body of the truck (yes I know the truck is flithy )

My favorite Android app with a screen I designed how I wanted it. Big gauge for boost and the smaller for AFR, Coolant Temp, Intake Temp, and Voltage

And finally a little video to show just the idle. My poor Flip HD camera had a really low battery so I apologize for the popping sounds It's not the exhaust making the slight pop sound. Sorry.

http://youtu.be/9XJQMC-O3HY

Last edited by TJPlatinumEB; 03-13-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Very NICE! Best sounding Eco exhaust thus far IMO and I can't wait to get one, unfortunately I'm probably going to have to wait a couple of months.
Thanks very much for the pics and the write up!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Official Member: Vast RWC

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

What app is that and how on earth do you get it to read boost, afr, and all the others you listed???

Very cool!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

CONGRATS! Ive been curious to see how u liked Urs. Is that the torque app?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by gimmie11s
What app is that and how on earth do you get it to read boost, afr, and all the others you listed???

Very cool!
Yes sir that is the Torque app. I bought the Pro version which gives you access to all those PID's to display and it's all of $4.95 or maybe $5.95 on the Android Market or whatever they call it now.

It also requires a bluetooth OBD interface that plugs into your OBD2 port. There are some REALLY cheap ones out there, so be careful as most of them work intermittently. I bought one on Amazon and have included the link here:

Amazon Amazon

That one has worked perfectly for me so far. It connects everytime, sampling rate and refresh rate are VERY quick, and does what I need it to.

One word of caution though. That app will SLAUGHTER your battery life. The dock I put there on my dash has a charger port on it and I ran that to my USB2 port since I don't use it and it keeps the phone charged while it's in the dock. No lost battery life for me
Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM

So awesome......... Wonder if that OBD2 device will interface with iPhone....

This is good stuff.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM

So awesome......... Wonder if that OBD2 device will interface with iPhone....
Unfortunately I know that answer and even more unfortunately the answer is no. The iPhone (unless it's jailbroken) will not communicate via Bluetooth. It only will work via WiFi and the adapters for that cost at least $100 bucks each, oftentimes more.

I bought one of the adapters and the two apps that are most prominent in the iPhone. They are DashCommand and Rev. Both cost at least $40 bucks and neither of them did anywhere near as much as the Torque app does.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 PM
F150 Forum

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks so much for the review and we are so happy you are pleased with your Solo Performance MR400 Single 4" Exhaust kit. Welcome to the SOLO family and let us know if you need anything.

For those that don't know, the kit is on a group buy right now through the last day in March. Thanks again and happy driving!!

Steve
Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB
Unfortunately I know that answer and even more unfortunately the answer is no. The iPhone (unless it's jailbroken) will not communicate via Bluetooth. It only will work via WiFi and the adapters for that cost at least $100 bucks each, oftentimes more.

I bought one of the adapters and the two apps that are most prominent in the iPhone. They are DashCommand and Rev. Both cost at least $40 bucks and neither of them did anywhere near as much as the Torque app does.

Yet another way Apple has their hands around our throats...... hmmmm... maybe time to jailbreak.

Even if i went the Wifi route what are the chances that youre connected to a wifi signal as you drive!! Stupid!

Of course the torque app is probably Android exclusive as well.

Oh well................ Thanks for the info... you taught me something today!

Worse case is i could use bluetooth with an old laptop or even better, buy an Android tablet used.........

Last edited by gimmie11s; 03-13-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Yet another way Apple has their hands around our throats...... hmmmm... maybe time to jailbreak.

Even if i went the Wifi route what are the chances that youre connected to a wifi signal as you drive!! Stupid!

Of course the torque app is probably Android exclusive as well.

Oh well................ Thanks for the info... you taught me something today!

Worse case is i could use bluetooth with an old laptop or even better, buy an Android tablet used.........

The ones he's talking about create the wifi signal that your iPhone would connect with in order to communicate the info to the app. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Here you go:

http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

And there's links there to the devices it will work with. Quite pricey, but definitely cool.

Quick Reply: My SOLO 4" EB Catback Install & Review