Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Mulitple failures with 2013 3.5L Eco @ 72K miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mulitple failures with 2013 3.5L Eco @ 72K miles

I have a 2013 F-150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 that I picked up in early 2016.

I started noticing the smell of burning oil in my truck a week or so ago and took it into my shop to get it worked on.

So far they've found the following:
  • Timing cover seal is leaking oil
  • Valve covers seeping
  • Vacuum pump seal is leaking
  • Passenger side turbo is leaking
Fortunately the truck is under warranty (originally purchased from CarMax) but what gives? With what I would consider somewhat major engine issues at 72K it has me a little worried about the longevity of this engine. I can't seem to find others with this kind of failures at the same mileage.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I would think the previous owner didn't keep up with proper maintenance. Moore specifically oil change intervals. The longer oil sits in the engine, it breaks down, become acidic and then starts to harden seals. Once the seals lose their pliability, they no longer seal as well and that's when you get your leaks prematurely.

This isn't for every case, but it is the most common reason why seals fail prematurely. Sometimes, they just go through so many heating cycles they just become brittle and leak. At 72k miles, I'd say it's oil change intervals.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Definitely agree with what Gremlin said. Previous owner didn't do proper maintenance and you are paying the price. Seal failure isn't something I would consider major engine issues personally, but having this many at once I can see how one could be concerned. However, with it all being covered, no need to worry.

I've only personally heard of a few others with valve cover leaks. The others I think are just hard life and bad maintenance. Unfortunately nobody knows without knowing that prior owner or the history and CarMax certainly won't know it. Get it fixed for free and be glad you got the warranty and enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
Gremlin85 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. It makes more sense now as it was a lease return and was sitting on a Ford dealership until CarMax picked it up. Not that all lessors are bad but they aren't going to take care of it the same why I do/would. Yes, while it's inconvenient being without a vehicle for a while I won't complain since all I'm going to pay is $250 on what will be close to $3K of work.

Quick Reply: Mulitple failures with 2013 3.5L Eco @ 72K miles