Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Mpg to empty not working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had my truck for about 2.5 weeks. I love it so far, the only thing I can't understand is why it seems like the mpg to empty indicator is so off. I have the 26 gallon tank, and so far I'm averaging 15.6 mpg. That means on a full tank I should get roughly 400 miles on a tank. When full, the indicator says just that. I now have a little more than a half tank left and it says I have 350 miles to empty. That can't be right. It should be nearer to 200. Anybody else experience this? Anyway to fix it? It's a minor problem yes, but an annoying one nonetheless. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Dwl0222285; 03-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Meaner than ymeski56

Received 457 Likes on 331 Posts

It's not gonna be completely accurate. I also would guess that Ford puts a safe margin of error in as well as some people will depend on it and would run it empty on accident. It's not broken, just not super accurate. You have to remember it's trying to predict your driving.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The MPG and estimator are on averages over life cycle currently displayed (i.e. current gas tank x current avg MPG = estimate to empty). You can view the alleged instant mpg or view the overall over 5 min avg. Neither are exact or specific for city or highway.

I'm in the same boat with low mpg, with 6500 miles on now only avg 16.48. Far off from the advertised averages. Been looking at the threads for spark plug gaps and tunes in an attempt to greatly improve.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Meaner than ymeski56

To Mike, you really are right around the average. I'm not sure if you have a 4x4 or 4x2 but the average for one of those is 17 so you're close.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by XtraLargeTall
It's not gonna be completely accurate. I also would guess that Ford puts a safe margin of error in as well as some people will depend on it and would run it empty on accident. It's not broken, just not super accurate. You have to remember it's trying to predict your driving.
I agree that you would expect them to be on the "safe" side. But wouldn't that mean going the other way? For example, right now I have about half tank or roughly 200 miles to go till empty. But the indicator says 350. If I were to drive till that gets down near 0 before filling, I would run out of gas well before 0. It's telling me I used roughly 50 miles worth of gas, yet my tank is half full. Btw, I'm actually fairly happy with my mpg so far. I just look at it as its a full size truck, supercrew 4x4 with a v8 and 360 hp. I can't complain. Im having a fiberglass tonneau installed this week and just ordered a intake so maybe i can get that up near 17 with those things added. Thanks ft the replies guys!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Meaner than ymeski56

Originally Posted by Dwl0222285

I agree that you would expect them to be on the "safe" side. But wouldn't that mean going the other way? For example, right now I have about half tank or roughly 200 miles to go till empty. But the indicator says 350. If I were to drive till that gets down near 0 before filling, I would run out of gas well before 0. It's telling me I used roughly 50 miles worth of gas, yet my tank is half full. Btw, I'm actually fairly happy with my mpg so far. I just look at it as its a full size truck, supercrew 4x4 with a v8 and 360 hp. I can't complain. Im having a fiberglass tonneau installed this week and just ordered a intake so maybe i can get that up near 17 with those things added. Thanks ft the replies guys!
Has your mpg lately been really good? Because it's an average, I will assume that it uses the newer averages so if you have extremely high or low mpg in the short term it will affect it more.

Also, I'm guessing you actually have the 36 gallon tank since you have 4x4 so it really may not be as off as you think.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of that stuff is mainly for entertainment purposes. My mpg indicator is always about 1 mpg off of pump calculations. I haven't had it long enough to see if it's consistently off enough to be accurate. I haven't paid attention to the MTE because whenever I get below half I start looking for a good place to stop.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 PM

While I would prefer the 36 gallon tank I'm almost sure it's the 26. I have filled up twice so far, I could be wrong though. No in fact i think over the last few days my mpg has dropped. i was at 15.8 a few days ago so it has dropped slightly. either way i love the truck, it was more of a curiosity thing. Thanks for the info guys.

Quick Reply: Mpg to empty not working?