Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

MAK Performance Ecoboost Y-Pipe Install Thread: Pictures and Videos Inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:42 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default MAK Performance Ecoboost Y-Pipe Install Thread: Pictures and Videos Inside

Most of the Ecoboost F-150 Community is familiar with our Offroad 3in Y-Pipes.
We are making this thread to get the word out to those who don't know about them and to help those who do and might have some questions or concerns.

The Facts:
  • 3in Mandrel Bent Aluminized Catless Y-Pipe.
  • Direct Bolt-in Installation
  • Works with Factory and Aftermarket Exhaust
  • Improves Airflow over Factory Mid-Pipe
  • Requires Off-Road Tune to Optimize Performance
  • Most Powerful Y-Pipe in test done by independent company.
  • TurboPete, the fastest Ecoboost Truck in the Country Runs a MAK Offroad Y-Pipe

Common Installation Issues/Concerns:

Coupler/Insert:

We have seen alot of trucks running ours and other manufacturer Y-Pipes, and have had very small leaks at the turbos that are not noticeable. The reason we include the couplers with the Y-Pipe is due to different castings on the turbo housings. Some are slightly smaller than others which in turn cause the minimal exhaust leaks. Those exhaust leaks would cause the fuel odor described in the cab by some customers who left out the couplers. This is why we include them in the kits. We have even installed them on other manufacturers Y-Pipes who were having similar issues and the problem was remedied by the couplers due to the variations from Ford. We didn't include them in our first run of the Y-Pipes because no one knew, both of our test trucks were the same. We actually found out ourselves before any customer that had a Y-Pipe knew or noticed. We informed them and shipped out the needed couplers to those who had not received them originally free of charge (Some International). We have been doing this long enough that we like to avoid issues before the become issues.

We have been in the high performance industry for over 20 years on the muscle car side(Specializing in Ford). Ford(Mustangs) in previous years was known for having inconsistencies in the exhaust manifolds some smaller and some bigger at the collectors. So couplers were incorporated into all the manufacturers x-pipes to help with that problem. A problem that is nearly impossible to figure out otherwise. Mustangs of certain years and models still have couplers when using aftermarket x-pipes to factory headers. We had to transfer that practice to ecoboost trucks to give customers the best possible product.

The couplers have been tested and in no way,shape, or form hinder the performance of the pipe. The pipe will not perform better without them.

If you guys have any questions or concerns feel free to let me know.

Here are some pics of the installation. We took good detailed pics to show ample clearance in all areas.

Video Clips:

Riding Around:

1/4Mile Pass:

FACEBOOK YOUTUBE TWITTER
Ecoboost Performance Parts from the Pros!

Last edited by MAK Performance; 03-15-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Chevy Eater

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which year trucks require the couplers?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
F150 Vendor

At this point we are telling everyone to install the couplers. We have not yet figured out which trucks need them and which don't to a point where we can rule out certain years. Being that they do not hinder anything we recommend that they always be installed.

FACEBOOK YOUTUBE TWITTER
Old 03-14-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I have your pipe and I'm happy with it. My only comment negative would be the fixed flange where it ties into the existing pipe. Mine wouldn't line up with my factory pipe and I had to disconnect the entire factory cat back from the truck to get it to line up properly. I'm sure it's another one of those variations in mass production. It happens. I'm not complaining. Just a bit of advice from a customer.

Concerning the couplers. Is it possible for you to put a small tack weld or two on them to hold them in place while installing everything? Mine fell out a few times as I was snaking my way under the truck.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Great pipe with great results. I have one on my truck and love it.

Picked up 2 tenths and 2 MPH in the quarter.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 PM
F150 Vendor

Originally Posted by Centexguy
I have your pipe and I'm happy with it. My only comment negative would be the fixed flange where it ties into the existing pipe. Mine wouldn't line up with my factory pipe and I had to disconnect the entire factory cat back from the truck to get it to line up properly. I'm sure it's another one of those variations in mass production. It happens. I'm not complaining. Just a bit of advice from a customer.

Concerning the couplers. Is it possible for you to put a small tack weld or two on them to hold them in place while installing everything? Mine fell out a few times as I was snaking my way under the truck.
Hmmm We havent had anyone mention about the fixed flange and the factory exhaust. Might be an just be a production thing. I just got under a bone stock 2013 we have here just to take a gander. Did yours not line up in the side to side alignment or was it that the flange was rotating in any way.

A tip we have been giving to people for the couplers is to use a dab of high temp silicone just to keep it in place.

FACEBOOK YOUTUBE TWITTER
Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

It was the way it was rotated. Like I said, not hating, just something I noticed on mine and chalked it up to manufacturing differences on either your end or fords. I've been in the aftermarket game long enough to understand that the term "bolt in" means "it should fall into place but nothing is ever 100% the same."

Last edited by Centexguy; 03-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM
F150 Vendor

Originally Posted by Centexguy
It was the way it was rotated. Like I said, not hating, just something I noticed on mine and chalked it up to manufacturing differences on either your end or fords. I've been in the aftermarket game long enough to understand that the term "bolt in" means "it should fall into place but nothing is ever 100% the same."
Gotcha! Were doing a Y-Pipe on another one of our personal trucks pretty soon, were just testing out a few things in stock form. Ill make sure the guys have a look at it to make sure its not a major issue.

FACEBOOK YOUTUBE TWITTER
Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have one and its great! Instead of dropping the tranny support I cut the factory exhaust off.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:00 AM
F150 Vendor

Ecoboost Y-Pipes on Sale for Memorial Day.

http://www.makperformance.com/ecoboost.html

FACEBOOK YOUTUBE TWITTER

Quick Reply: MAK Performance Ecoboost Y-Pipe Install Thread: Pictures and Videos Inside