Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Low Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Low Oil Pressure?

I was driving home tonight and I hear that distinctive F150 bing bing bing, and I didn't have time to catch the screen. 2 minutes later the truck is showing LOW OIL PRESSURE on the screen. I just got my oil changed today and wondered if that had anything to do with it?

The weird thing is the gauge will bounce from low to high in a matter of 2 seconds. Is this a computer thing? I also checked the oil level and things were A-1 under the hood?

Thanks for the help guys!!
The following users liked this post:
motorhead (03-27-2013)
Old 08-22-2011, 12:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be an electrical issue, loose ground straps will cause this sort of thing. Double check the oil filter, make sure its correct and if the oil level is full bring it in and let ford deal with it.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the filter..might not be tight enough..
Old 08-22-2011, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh and most of the time the oring on the filter will just fall off but sometimes it sticks..they may of forgotten to check and see if it was off and could of tried to put on the new filter with the new oring...never know..i say get under there and take a look and see if any oil is leaking
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I recommend getting it checked out asap. You did the right thing by verifying the oil fill but the pickup screen could be clogged or the oil pump may be damaged, I would be nervous about driving it too much longer and Ford may give you trouble on the warranty if engine damage occurs because you were driving with a low-oil pressure indicator.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Oil pressure gauge is fake, it's hooked to the low oil pressure "light." Thats why its swinging so dramatically. Isn't Ford's light something like 3 to 7 PSI?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the oil is full, it's either an electrical / sensor issue, or something mechanical which could damage the engine very quickly. I would recommend having it towed (not driven) to the dealer immediately. This will ensure that if there is any type of motor damage, you did everything you could to prevent excess damage.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Well after an astonishing 3.5 hours later at my local Ford dealership sitting in a chair that was about as comfortable as a moving bull, my truck was cured! They came to the conclusuon that the oil sending unit had failed and oil had got into the electrics and shorted it out. Goes to show the type of quality that goes into these things!!

Very disappointed on this dilemma. 25000Km on the truck and I'm already facing problems usually reserved for trucks with 100000Km plus!

Needless to say the dealer was amazing in fixing the problem and as always I drive home in a much better mood than arriving there.

Thanks for the help guys, much much appreciated!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Givver for your post of this subject. Changed my oil last Saturday and Monday same thing happened to me, twice. Warning tone, low oil pressure screen, gauge at zero, luckily both times stopped, motor at idle. Really had me second guessing my oil change routine! Everything was tight and where it should be, oil level exactly where it was Saturday after running motor and checking twice.
Dealership just called "replaced your oil sending unit sir truck is good to go".
Had 29,702.2 miles @ oil change.
Wanted to add post in case someone else searches for "oil pressure" like I did. Put my mind at ease a little when I found original post.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Givver
Very disappointed on this dilemma. 25000Km on the truck and I'm already facing problems usually reserved for trucks with 100000Km plus! !
Because mass produced parts never fail until you expect them to. Comments like this are dumb. Parts fail. **** happens. At least your dealer was easy to work with. A sensor going out is a minor thing and happens to all vehicles of all makes and models. Even $200,000 cars have sensors fail. When you produce a 100,000 parts a year (or more), your bound to have a few bad one's. no one likes it when it happens but it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (03-27-2013)

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure?