Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Long roadtrip = ecoboost problems

Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Long roadtrip = ecoboost problems

Hey guys,

I recently just got back from almost a 4k mile road trip from south florida to various locations on the east coast and up into ontario Canada. Truck did ok with mileage considering the 35 inch tires and 3.73 gear ratio. got a hand calculated mpg of 16.1 round trip.

Now for the bad, I experienced the shudder problem several times throughout the trip. I've never experienced it before I don't know if its because I live in FL with the climate here or what but man was this problem bad.

First time the truck was in cruise control at approx 70 mph and I had to get on it quick to pass a semi on a 2 lane road. the truck downshifted like normal and went up to about 4k rpm and the truck when absolutely no where, when the truck started to shake severally I got off of it and it just continued to shake for several what felt like minutes. I left the truck in cruise control and the truck continue to down shift all the way down to 3rd gear and didn't go anywhere at all.

I'm aware of the condensation issue with these truck but this was my first real experience with the truck. I guess I'm partly writing this to vent because my almost 50k truck shouldn't have any kind of issue of the sort and now I really now what some of you guys have been going through. I felt this to be a very dangerous issue on the road.

I recently heard about a class action lawsuit or are there any other ways for use the consumer to remedy this issue, because from what I hear ford still wont stand behind their product.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fast Filly:
canddmeyer (07-24-2013), sullyman (08-12-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Whew, fast, that sounds dangerous! What year is your Ecoboost? Somebody mentioned here one time they didn't think shuddering engine would ever be dangerous. Oh yes it can!
The following users liked this post:
sullyman (08-12-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 PM

my truck is a 2012 built towards the end of 2011. yes, I could see this becoming a very serious issue. The first thing I thought of was to buy the full race intercooler, but I don't feel I should be at fault for this and should have to bare the cost of the fix when this shouldnt be happeneing at all.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Hey, Ashley, from Ford Service... Come on over here and help old Fast! This is a serious issue!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

You know I've been reading these threads about the ecoboost loss of power in humid or rainy conditions and had an idea.

Has anyone tried putting di-electric grease on their spark plug boots? I know the ecoboost has the condensation issue but just thinking back I owned 5 different 99-03 f150's and they would have a miss fire or issues in high humidity because of the coil packs over the spark plug. I know this probly isn't the reason the Eco's do this but I live in Missouri where it's humid all the time and put the grease on mine when checking the plugs and haven't had the issue yet knock on wood. Just an idea please don't hang me for it just spit balling

Tony
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Was it raining when this happened or just before the misfire event? Have you had any of the TSBs for this issue performed by the dealer?

The sad truth is, there is no fix yet.

I'm almost thinking there needs to be some sort of cyclone separator on the charge pipe between the IC and TB.

If your still under warranty, I would at least have Ford look at it so it is documented in case there are any other issues down the road that stem from this trip.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:29 PM

It was extremely foggy not raining and about 74 degrees out side in virgina.

I tried to take my truck in for the tsb's and the dealership told me they weren't for my truck. Which I believe is BS, I'll be taking my truck to another deal here soon because now my rear slider doesnt open any more.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Filly
First time the truck was in cruise control at approx 70 mph and I had to get on it quick to pass a semi on a 2 lane road. the truck downshifted like normal and went up to about 4k rpm and the truck when absolutely no where, when the truck started to shake severally I got off of it and it just continued to shake for several what felt like minutes.
Since this is the same exact thing people write each time this happens, the question arises...

What is the big rush. Maybe slow down and drive more safely.

I wish you luck on getting your truck fixed.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

I tried to take my truck in for the tsb's and the dealership told me they weren't for my truck. Which I believe is BS,
Here's a little fire power the dealer is BSing you. Granted with no codes they tend to be a little dumb founded.

Here's the most recent TSB for your issue and guess what it's for your vehicle.....

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...sb13-03-03.htm

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
Since this is the same exact thing people write each time this happens, the question arises...

What is the big rush. Maybe slow down and drive more safely.
Really? What's the rush? So the correct answer is to twinkle toe on the accelerator, nah I'd get them to do the TSB and try to fix the issue. I'd rather not consistently drive knowing will it or won't it do it.

Personally everyone it happens to needs to report it to continue pressuring Ford to get the issue resolved and not sweep it under the rug. I'd rather have the F150 brand be in good standing regardless what engine is under the hood.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

...First time the truck was in cruise control at approx 70 mph and I had to get on it quick to pass a semi on a 2 lane road. the truck downshifted like normal and went up to about 4k rpm and the truck when absolutely no where, when the truck started to shake severally I got off of it and it just continued to shake for several what felt like minutes. I left the truck in cruise control and the truck continue to down shift all the way down to 3rd gear and didn't go anywhere at all...
Hi Fast Filly.

I'd like to step in and help. Please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll get started.

Originally Posted by iFord
Hey, Ashley, from Ford Service... Come on over here and help old Fast! This is a serious issue!
Thanks for looking out, iFord.

Ashley

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long roadtrip = ecoboost problems