Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Just ordered 6.2 tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:30 PM
2011 Harley Davidson AWD

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Just ordered 6.2 tuner

Placed my order for a tuner from 5 Star for my 6.2 Harley. Heard great things about it. Can't wait. Hope it's as big a difference as I'm expecting.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Huge Member

Received 240 Likes on 158 Posts

Keep us informed. tuner is next on my list. Hope it rocks.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it. You will like it.

Not so much for the gain in power but the throttle response unleashing the power that is already in the engine but held back.

I believe FORD from the factory doesn't actually give you WOT when you ask for it in 1st and 2nd or until you are above a certain RPM.

In the end I rarely ask the truck for full power anyway.

I pull a 8000lb 34ft camper trailer and never go above 3300 RMP for hundreds miles. But it was fun passing slower cars up hill in the fast lane once when I asked it to.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Huge Member

Received 240 Likes on 158 Posts

Nice, I had that same feeling as well, seems the power rolls on a lil too slow off the line, then rips. Im stoked to get one.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:41 PM
2011 Harley Davidson AWD

This is what I'm most looking forward to:

Quote from 5 Star Tuning...

The 6.2L suffers from poor throttle response down low. In fact the factory programming has limits on the max throttle blade opening that PCM allows and is based on RPM range engine is operating in. Full throttle blade opening in factory programming is only allowed at 4500 RPMs. By correcting this issue and a few others; improvements will be much better throttle response, step on go pedal, vehicle will respond quicker...this DBW system is a torque driven system, it works by taking a certain amount of torque via engine and wheel and applies it to what the driver foot say it needs; a better way to explain it is its a torque limiter. It only allows so much torque at a given pedal position. Stock tables are conservative and numb at best and that's why one would feel some times a lag or a goofy pedal with DBW systems. For a 6.2L V8 this is one of the most critical areas that must be addressed and modified to generate more torque /hp and throttle response. By reworking the OEM strategies makes your 6.2L V8 come to life!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewM
This is what I'm most looking forward to:

Quote from 5 Star Tuning...

The 6.2L suffers from poor throttle response down low. In fact the factory programming has limits on the max throttle blade opening that PCM allows and is based on RPM range engine is operating in. Full throttle blade opening in factory programming is only allowed at 4500 RPMs. By correcting this issue and a few others; improvements will be much better throttle response, step on go pedal, vehicle will respond quicker...this DBW system is a torque driven system, it works by taking a certain amount of torque via engine and wheel and applies it to what the driver foot say it needs; a better way to explain it is its a torque limiter. It only allows so much torque at a given pedal position. Stock tables are conservative and numb at best and that's why one would feel some times a lag or a goofy pedal with DBW systems. For a 6.2L V8 this is one of the most critical areas that must be addressed and modified to generate more torque /hp and throttle response. By reworking the OEM strategies makes your 6.2L V8 come to life!
Ive had mine for a couple of weeks and really like it. Remember that you also need a couple hundred miles for the adaptive learning to settle in.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:42 PM
2011 Harley Davidson AWD

Got my tuner last week. Quick turnaround by 5 Star Tuning. I ordered the 87 economy, 87 performance, and 93 performance. Since I had 87 in the tank, I installed the 87 performance. I assume there's more absolute horsepower & torque, but according to the dyno charts, it's around 10%. And my butt dyno isn't calibrated that precisely! But, because of the improved transmission and drive-by-wire programming, it certainly feels much stronger off the line. Also, one of the biggest improvements is the shift points. Now it seems like the transmission is always in the right gear. Seldom does it need more than a one-gear downshift under normal acceleration, unless you really get on it. This is what the truck should feel like from the factory. Once I use up this 87, I'll put in 93 and try that tune out.

Definitely a good purchase.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:29 PM
2011 6.2 lariat

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Got my tuner last week. Quick turnaround by 5 Star Tuning. I ordered the 87 economy, 87 performance, and 93 performance. Since I had 87 in the tank, I installed the 87 performance. I assume there's more absolute horsepower & torque, but according to the dyno charts, it's around 10%. And my butt dyno isn't calibrated that precisely! But, because of the improved transmission and drive-by-wire programming, it certainly feels much stronger off the line. Also, one of the biggest improvements is the shift points. Now it seems like the transmission is always in the right gear. Seldom does it need more than a one-gear downshift under normal acceleration, unless you really get on it. This is what the truck should feel like from the factory. Once I use up this 87, I'll put in 93 and try that tune out.

Definitely a good purchase.

I just ordered that tune and planned on the 87 performance my first try as well. Have you tried any of the other tunes and if so how did they feel?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
ETTYOCEO ®

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am running the 91 performance tune and love it.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Placed my order for a tuner from 5 Star for my 6.2 Harley. Heard great things about it. Can't wait. Hope it's as big a difference as I'm expecting.
The difference between 'stock' and 'SCT version' of your truck will amaze you. I tried both Hypertech and SCT and SCT wins!

Quick Reply: Just ordered 6.2 tuner