Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Just for fun

Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Just for fun

So, I have a buddy that has an EB 4x4 screw, and while we were hanging out at our mens group last night, we were commenting about how good ALL the new motors are from Ford. I was complaining to him about how much of a turd my truck is off the line, but seems to run really well once it is moving. After some more discussion, we decided to "compare" our trucks, as they are very similar. We went to a section of his farm property (yes, there are still farms in SoCal) where we could block off a 1/2 mile plus section to "compare" (therefore a closed course for this discusion). We did (3) 0-60mph runs in two fashions, and then later did (3) 60-85mph runs somewhere else. His truck is an xlt with 3.73 and the stock wheels and tires (17's or 18's idk). Mine is a loaded fx4 w/ sunroof power everything and the factory 20's, so mine probably weighs a little more, but close enough.

From a dead idle, my truck pulled about a half truck consistantly, but the EB easily made that up and pulled about a truck on me to 60 mph. If we both brake torqued to about 2000 rpm (so the EB had some boost built up) he ANIHILATED me, probably close to three full truck length! FWIW, he stoped pulling on me, but I was not gaining on him either.

The big suprise, at least for us, was the 60-85mph runs. We tried them two different ways, both trucks in 6th gear, and going WOT, and also manually selecting 3rd gear at 60mph and running from there. Leaving them in drive, and letting it downshift on its own, I pulled a full truck on him, and he never caught up! We attributed it to the very minor delay to get the EB power built on the downshift, hence why we tried staring both from 3rd gear. Both truck downshifted to second, but the EB already had some boost built, and it was able to keep me from pulling away. Both trucks were so even that we considered it a draw.

The conclusion, I think both motors make about the same power, and coupled with the 6 speed trans, once they are moving they are pretty comparable. From a dig, especially with the advantage of being able to boost on the launch, the EB has it hands down, apples to mostly apples.

Once I get my SCT unlocked, and get some tunes from Mike, we will have a re-match to see how much differance tuning makes. Sadly, my buddy won't tune his EB, no matter what. Although, as he puts it, "it's that good, it doesn't need it".

Now, please don't turn this into a pissing match.........
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Or "passing match."
Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Awesome - real life comparison! I know it wasn't equipped the same but close enough.

Like I've said dozens of times in the past, they are BOTH great engines.

Keep us up to date after the tune.

I have Mikes tune - 87 Performance and there's a noticeable difference - especially in the shifting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just for fun