Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Intermittent noise accelerating under load

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:39 AM

Received 321 Likes on 230 Posts

Question Intermittent noise accelerating under load

I have a 2014 XLT, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, Supercab, long bed, Max Tow, and HDPP. When I'm pulling my 6500# GVWR travel trailer, every once in a while, when I have to accelerate hard, I get what I can best describe as a "screeching" noise. It will stop when I back off the accelerator, and then accelerate again. I'm not even sure if "screech" is the best description. It's not so much like a metallic sound, it's not a tic, it's not a knock, and it's not a "thump".

Has anyone experienced something similar? Could it be timing chain related? Or maybe not engine at all, but a transmission problem.

I would appreciate any help. The truck is going in to the dealer in a couple of weeks to change spark plugs, get new brakes (current ones are pretty worn), change the brake fluid. The truck has 52k miles on it, and I'm getting ready for a long trip out to Yellowstone and the Rockies.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

Serpentine belt or tensioner ???
Old 04-17-2018, 10:56 PM

Received 321 Likes on 230 Posts

Hadn't thought of that. Would have thought the serpentine belt would just squeal. However I could picture a tension-er worn just a bit, and getting in a bind.

Originally Posted by StonedFX4
Serpentine belt or tensioner ???
Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Most likely you have a warped exhaust manifold. Get the old spray bottle with soap and water in it (like checking a tire for puncture) and spray the exhaust manifold. If it is warped you should see bubbles. Note: Do this while the manifold is still semi cold so the water just doesn't evaporate.

Another check is to apply the brakes REAL Hard, and rev the engine while in drive (won't do it in neutral or park). It will build boost this way and if it makes the noise then it is most likely the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 04-19-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent noise accelerating under load