Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Improving 3.7 gas milage

Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Improving 3.7 gas milage

Hello all. I just bought a 2011 SCrew with a 3.7. I chose the 3.7 over the ecoboost as I have no intention of towing anything really large and I was concerned the turbos and sophisticated technology in the EcoBoost have the potential of becoming expensive problems once it hits higher mileage.

The EPA mileage of the 3.7 was actually slightly better than that of the Ecoboost (17/23 to 16/22 in the eco)

I added a Tunneu cover to reduce drag and have the 17 inch wheels.

So far (600 miles in mostly city driving) It has averaged 15.5 mpg. It’s an improvement from the Xterra I’d been driving, and for a pickup it claims the best EPA per gallon mileage (even higher the much smaller Tacoma and Frontier, I had planned on getting)

With my business I need a truck, so I don’t expect to be getting Prius mileage, but I’d like to do better than 15.5. Does anybody have any suggestions to improve mileage in a 3.7.

Other then the mileage, this thing is pretty awesome. I am taking it across the state later this week, so hopefully once I get it on the highway, I’ll be more impressed.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

For what its worth I was getting the same mileage as you until about 4k miles. Now I'm up to 16.5-17 without having to mentally try to drive carefully, no mods. If I apply hypermiling techniques I can reach 17.5 in the city but that's too much work for me on a daily basis.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:24 PM
t_b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before your trip be sure to check your tire pressures and make sure they're pumped up to spec - cuts down on rolling resistance.

You'll be in the mid 20's with ease on the highway.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 PM
oldphart

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default What rear ratio do you have?

My 2011 Screw w/ 3.7 has the 3.73 rear..... now with 15,000+ on it, I average about 19 around town..... not a "city" atmosphere.... somewhat rural and flat........ but get little better on the hiway when i want to run at 70 MPH or more....... if I work it easy, and keep the RPM at around 1400-1500..... for about 50-55 MPH, I can get 24 or more........ but don't have the patience to keep it there.....
Old 10-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 1,019 Likes on 727 Posts

Brand new mine is getting 20ish on the highway at 70mph. Computer reads a little higher than hand calc. FWIW - My ****ty 2010 Tacoma never had a tank better than 16 in 2 years and 40 000miles.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 11SCREWBall
Hello all. I just bought a 2011 SCrew with a 3.7. I chose the 3.7 over the ecoboost as I have no intention of towing anything really large and I was concerned the turbos and sophisticated technology in the EcoBoost have the potential of becoming expensive problems once it hits higher mileage.

The EPA mileage of the 3.7 was actually slightly better than that of the Ecoboost (17/23 to 16/22 in the eco)

So far (600 miles in mostly city driving) It has averaged 15.5 mpg. It’s an improvement from the Xterra I’d been driving, and for a pickup it claims the best EPA per gallon mileage (even higher the much smaller Tacoma and Frontier, I had planned on getting)

With my business I need a truck, so I don’t expect to be getting Prius mileage, but I’d like to do better than 15.5. Does anybody have any suggestions to improve mileage in a 3.7.

Other then the mileage, this thing is pretty awesome. I am taking it across the state later this week, so hopefully once I get it on the highway, I’ll be more impressed.
If you look at other pickup trucks passing you on the freeway, note how the cover RAISES up and down. The cover itself doesn't eliminate the fact that you have an area of LOW PRESSURE behind the cab. I'd give AIRTABS a try. I"m going to put them on my 2011 F150 soon..
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 AM
(A random northerner)

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

i used to own an "undercover" tonneau on my previous truck. on their website, they claimed that it would improve the mileage by 10%. i thought: "yeah, BS..." so i did the mpg for a couple tanks before i bought the tonneau and then did the mpg for the first full tank after i bought it. to my surprise, my mpg was 11% better. driving conditions were the same. i didn't buy the tonneau because of mpg but it was a nice side effect. with my F150, an "extang" trifold tonneau went on right away so unfortunately i won't be able to do a comparison this time.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM
AAG

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anybody have any suggestions to improve mileage in a 3.7
Buy it in a lighter and more aerodynamic chasis like a mustang.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I do a lot of coasting...and can get 19-20 between work and home. 5 miles, 8 stoplights, 45mph speed limit. It's more like 17-19 here in the winter. 60mph on the freeway and we're at 21ish in the winter, 23-24 in the summer. I'm running gas with a little ethanol in it...but wish I was on 100% gas. I have a cab height topper, mud flaps, otherwise we're stock. Best run was on 55mph roads for 100 miles, 24.5mpg. Tires at 45psi.

What are you getting nowadays?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Mechanically, really all that's left to do is lower it and use pure gas. However, there is a company is trying to get off the ground that makes fast-back style camper shells. He's getting phenomenal highway mpg's from trucks.

That said, 15+ in a full size truck in city driving really isn't bad. I've owned smaller trucks with less power that did way worse than that on the highway.

There are lots of driving techniques you could learn that may net you another 2 mpg. I've described these at least a half dozen times on this forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Improving 3.7 gas milage