Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

IC Condensate experiment

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Default IC Condensate experiment

Perform at own risk.*

1st I have had 0 isues with my 2011 ecoboost 16k miles. I have been reading several posts concerning the intercooler and condensate so I decided to try an experiment. I drilled and taped a hole in the bottem of the IC under where the air exits to the throttle body I nstalled a fitting [ 1/8 pipe thread] to a 1/8 plastic line the type used on after market oil pressure gauge and routed it to a catch can temperarly mounted behind the grill. the fitting has only a 1/16 opening so there shouldnt be any boost loss but any water in the IC should be forced into the catch can where I can moniter it. If there is signifigant water removed then i will make a permanent install if not then I will remove it and put a 1/8 pipe plug in the hole. We are moving into the "monsoon" season and the humidity is riseing. I will watch for a couple of weeks and post the results.

Last edited by bobkyle2; 07-23-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added by Bobkyle2*
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Good idea. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 456 Likes on 280 Posts

I will be interested to see how this goes
Old 07-21-2012, 12:49 PM
2011 XLT XTR SCrew 4x4 EB

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the fitting flush with the interior of the intercooler?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 PM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
1st I have had 0 isues with my 2011 ecoboost 16k miles. I have been reading several posts concerning the intercooler and condensate so I decided to try an experiment. I drilled and taped a hole in the bottem of the IC under where the air exits to the throttle body I nstalled a fitting [ 1/8 pipe thread] to a 1/8 plastic line the type used on after market oil pressure gauge and routed it to a catch can temperarly mounted behind the grill. the fitting has only a 1/16 opening so there shouldnt be any boost loss but any water in the IC should be forced into the catch can where I can moniter it. If there is signifigant water removed then i will make a permanent install if not then I will remove it and put a 1/8 pipe plug in the hole. We are moving into the "monsoon" season and the humidity is riseing. I will watch for a couple of weeks and post the results.
Thanks for being the guinea pig! I'd be interested in seeing these results as well. I've never had the condensation issue either.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 07-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

I don't see this working. You'll create a pressure barrier and everything will pass right by the install.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Fitz yes it is flush with the interior if the ic at its lowest point. J.Cain and W West there is never a negative pressure in the IC even at idle the turbos are making some boost and the IC is ahead of the throttle so it is always at a positive pressure when the engine is running and the catch bottle is vented to the outside so any liquid that collects in the bottem of the IC should be forced into the catch bottle. as I stated this an experiment so we will see
Old 07-21-2012, 03:11 PM
NFG

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1st I have had 0 isues with my 2011 ecoboost 16k miles. ..... so I decided to try an experiment. I drilled and taped a hole in the bottem of the IC under ........

Let me get this straight.

You're willing to void your warranty in order to try and find out the source of a problem you don't have?

Best of luck with that then.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 456 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by NFG
Let me get this straight.

You're willing to void your warranty in order to try and find out the source of a problem you don't have?

Best of luck with that then.

someone else sees it as I do

Quick Reply: IC Condensate experiment