HEAVY work underway at Full-Race (EFR ecoboost upgrade) - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

HEAVY work underway at Full-Race (EFR ecoboost upgrade)

Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Default HEAVY work underway at Full-Race (EFR ecoboost upgrade)

If you guys have facebook, check Full-Race's page. They are giving updates on their turbo upgrade for the EB. Nothing crazy yet, but they have been prepping manifolds for the EFR turbos.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 PM

Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 PM

Old 09-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the limiting power of the eco is the fuel system, not the turbos. I believe it's the tuners themselves that are saying this which mean upgrading the turbos will probably be marginal gains, possibly offest by a loss in the low end.

My point being if I had an eco I would want to see some fuel system parts in that picture.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Thanked 1,024 Times in 823 Posts

Full race def knows what they are doing from what I've heard of them prior so I'm sure they will address the fuel issue at some point.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Judging by the size of those turbos, I'd say those will take the fuel system to its limits. Need more air.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Wicked.
The Following User Says Thank You to prime8 For This Useful Post:
ppl85 (04-11-2013)
Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 PM

Rick from Livernois told us a while back that we have plenty of fuel :-)
Old 09-26-2012, 05:30 PM

Thanked 1,364 Times in 838 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the limiting power of the eco is the fuel system, not the turbos. I believe it's the tuners themselves that are saying this which mean upgrading the turbos will probably be marginal gains, possibly offest by a loss in the low end..
Increasing the size of turbos affects power in a lot of ways, not all of which require more fuel. You'll get a bigger compressor that runs at a more efficient place on its map. Typically, OEM turbos are sized smaller than peak efficiency to improve spoolup. Running a bigger compressor in a more efficient zone reduces the shaft hp required to spin the compressor. This allows the turbine to not work as hard, leading to the wastegate bypassing more exhaust, thus reducing exhaust/drive pressure. Furthermore, the larger exhaust wheel will flow more mass for a given pressure. This, again, reduces exhaust pressure. All these reductions in exhaust pressure reduces pumping losses during the exhaust stroke. Keep in mind that typical turbo exhaust pressure can be as high as 50 psi (this is the turbo's equivalent to "parasitic drag"). Dropping this to 30 psi will greatly improve hp without requiring more fuel. All this is accomplished at the same boost level, too, so engine safety and longevity is also improved.

The trade-off is spool time, as you suggested.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to engineermike For This Useful Post:
Cajun150 (09-26-2012), ceh527 (12-29-2012), Full-Race Geoff (09-26-2012), mechanicboy (09-28-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
Increasing the size of turbos affects power in a lot of ways, not all of which require more fuel. You'll get a bigger compressor that runs at a more efficient place on its map. Typically, OEM turbos are sized smaller than peak efficiency to improve spoolup. Running a bigger compressor in a more efficient zone reduces the shaft hp required to spin the compressor. This allows the turbine to not work as hard, leading to the wastegate bypassing more exhaust, thus reducing exhaust/drive pressure. Furthermore, the larger exhaust wheel will flow more mass for a given pressure. This, again, reduces exhaust pressure. All these reductions in exhaust pressure reduces pumping losses during the exhaust stroke. Keep in mind that typical turbo exhaust pressure can be as high as 50 psi (this is the turbo's equivalent to "parasitic drag"). Dropping this to 30 psi will greatly improve hp without requiring more fuel. All this is accomplished at the same boost level, too, so engine safety and longevity is also improved.

The trade-off is spool time, as you suggested.
I think they are planning a couple of setups. The smaller series EFR turbos spool insanely quick for what they are however a single twin-scroll large series turbo would be cool too. I'm thinking that with the spool speed of a twin-scroll design along with the EFR's natural quick spooling....might have a winner. I'm excited!!!

Rick.....call those guys and talk them into tuning through Livernois.
The Following User Says Thank You to mr_diggs For This Useful Post:
Full-Race Geoff (09-26-2012)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HEAVY work underway at Full-Race (EFR ecoboost upgrade)

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: