Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Going back to stock.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Going back to stock.

Said in another thread that if I had another issue tuned my tuner would be a wheel chalk that forgot to be removed. Well in the never ending quest for a better tune the issues that go with it surfaced tonight on a parts run, returned the truck stock but forgot to run my SCT device over.
My truck is a service truck as well as a loaner so no cliches are acceptable, must run as designed 24/7. I drove my truck stock for two years before tuning it and loved it. The last year playing the tuning ***** my *** has been sore more than I like.
So you guys that are tuned and love it are going to cry in the morning when you see the picture and the guys who aren't well you will get a chuckle. I keep my word which is why I have such a good customer base.
Going stock and loving it!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Smile

Good for u! Same here I was tuned didn't care for it and went back to stock. Love my stock ecoboost
Old 04-12-2014, 12:02 AM
Raptor Minion

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Tuning is not for everyone. If you race and want to push the limit and squeeze every last ounce of performance out of your engine, tune away. If you need the truck to get to work, then think it over. It's a risk. From a bad tune to voided warranty, it's a risk.

I'm planning on tuning, but want something "safe", maybe shift points, a little tweak, nothing that pushes the envelope. But I'm getting old, and I don't race. YMMV.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

You where running the mpt tune right? issues?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:30 AM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by aliass24
You where running the mpt tune right? issues?
Not this time an updated tune from some one else. I do have and update from MPT but never loaded it.
My truck doesn't seem to like being tuned. I've had issues with tunes from 4 places. I'm just not comfy letting other people drive my truck when you never know when it may act up. Stock I can drive it for weeks on end and never have a glitch, but when I tune it after it settles in I have issues.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

That is why I'm on an 87O Snow and Ice tune. I do not like the way my truck drives on the more hopped up tunes.

Sounds like your truck is similar to mine. Good choice and hope your EB stands the test of time for ya!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:47 AM

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jwanck11
That is why I'm on an 87O Snow and Ice tune. I do not like the way my truck drives on the more hopped up tunes.

Sounds like your truck is similar to mine. Good choice and hope your EB stands the test of time for ya!
I think this is the tune to give you that little bit extra with better shifts and the use of hooking the truck up to a load and hitting the road.

Snowflake, don't blame you at all. I had got tired of watching gauges and knock numbers, lol. I honestly loved the truck post SLF5 strategy code....that strategy started basically all of my problems.

My SSI 93 performance tune on my original strategy was like paradise, no knock, good boost, insane mileage, great power, sweet shifts....and then SLF5-----biggest pain in the crapper ever. Even stock it sucked....my mileage went from 14.7 city to 12.5------Hwy from 19-20 to 16.7 on a ~100% highway run to Hilton Head.

The new truck averaged 22.7 over 50 miles of 70% highway and 24mpg over 25 miles of 100% highway.....lifetime is at 16.5 (the eco was in the mid 13's when she left me). AND THAT"S ON 20's at ~72 mph!!

Last edited by 13'TwinScrew; 04-12-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I realize this thread is older but I wanted chime in and agree. I had an SCTx3 with 5* tunes and once the initial "oh that's cool" wore off, I realized I could never seem to dial the truck in how I wanted it to drive and found that going back to factory strategies with the latest updates to the PCM/ECM/TCM/you-name-it-CM has been far better. I run 91 pump through it and have been very pleased.

I thought about trying other brands of tuners/tunes but I don't believe it's necessary for me. While not a service truck, I need 24/7 reliability the way it was designed and while it has a few things that bug me some of the time, there aren't more things that bug me all of the time. Tuning is a personal thing I gather and I don't knock it if you're happy. For me, stock seems to be best for my needs/desires.

Quick Reply: Going back to stock.