Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Full Race Intercooler Review (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 456 Likes on 280 Posts

The following is my full review of the Full Race Intercooler/CAC upgrade kit for the F150 pickups.

I have had the opportunity to receive one of the first production CACs from Full Race
I will share my thoughts and views on the overall design,quality,install,and readings I have taken,using torque and other means.

Overall Design
The Full Race Intercooler is approx double the size of the factory cooler although at first glance it only appears to be about 30% larger. It is mounted VERY sturdy reusing the factory rubber isolators.
the thickness of the core is twice that of the Ford unit (see pictures)

Full Race thickness

Stock

It also uses a better core that has turbulators in the fins unlike the Ford unit that used strait fins (See pictures)
Stock

Full Race Core (Hard to get a shot showing the turbulators look in between the fins)

This helps the cooling across the cooler core and is a HUGE benefit over stock.

Inside the inlet and outlet of the end tanks it has dividers that force the air to split going through the core also this is a great design element that will also help the cooling of the air.

The CAC is also moved from the lower bumper location up to what I feel is a safer location. My factory CAC has had some rock hits strong enough to dent the cooler pipes not just the fins (see picture).

This to me is a real selling point of this cooler over the stock CAC and others that are offered that remain in the stock location. If I am going to spend 1k on an aftermarket CAC I want it protected as much as I can yet want the best flow I can get. I feel that it is only a matter of time before a stock CAC ends up with a hole in it I think one forum member has already had this happen.

Quality
During the install of this CAC I found myself amazed by the quality of this product. I have been racing cars and modifying both cars
and trucks for the better part of 20 years nothing I own or have owned has remained stock for very long. I am very big into do it yourself
projects and when ever I can I try to do my own. I find that I am judge mental of every product I buy and always seem to find something that
I feel is lacking or that I would do different. With this Intercooler I was stunned the quality is absolutely second to NONE. The welding done on this is ARTWORK!
The design of how the kit goes together is flawless and the install time shows this. Even the quality of the T-band clamps and couplers is the best you can get. Full Race spared NO EXPENSE on this kit and it shows once you get your hands on it. Following are some close up pictures of the welds and quality pieces involved in this kit.
Welds are ARTWORK

Post one

Last edited by geno51; 02-21-2013 at 12:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by geno51:
Al Kohalic (02-24-2013), EcoBoostedFX (02-20-2013), engineermike (02-20-2013)

Popular Reply

02-20-2013, 07:08 PM
geno51

Quality Hardware

Install
I had the chance to install this kit at the Full Race shop with the team taking pictures of the install to see how the do it yourself
guy can handle this install in his driveway I was timed but also had to pause every 20 seconds so someone could snap a picture. With a break for lunch
the install took 1hr and 43 mins. I feel that it could be done in 1.5 hours EASY with out (hold on we need a picture of that or point at that bolt exc.)
The only part of the install that was even remotely tough at all was the install of the Y pipe. Some could feel its a little hard to get to the factory outlet pipes. But I would call this part a 3 out of a 10 scale. The rest of the install never goes over a 2.

Impressions and Readings
After installing the Intercooler in Phoenix,I had a 2 hour drive from Phoenix to Prescott. In conditions including rush hour stop and go traffic,to highway driving at 75mph,and ice cold conditions in Prescott of 30* and light snow. I have the tablet install in my dash and also have the Torque app running at all times. A few observations from last nights drive.
First I have installed over the last year on my truck a AFE intake, Solo MR400 exhaust,SCT tuner,and now this Intercooler. When it comes to performance You can feel a difference from this cooler period. Not on the level of the Tune, but with the exhaust and intake I could tell no difference other then sound. This I could tell immediately that it feels to pull little harder. I have no Dyno or other info YET to prove this.

I have another way that I could prove it but it would get deleted from the forum Wink Wink!

It for sure makes more power. But for argument sake its just speculation now . Some have raised concern about the cooler in front of the Radiator. In rush hour stop and go traffic in phoenix I saw no difference on the torque app for coolant temps. It was only in the mid 70s and not 120* like the summer but I doubt that I will see any issues. On the way up we have to Climb a 6% grade for 35 miles out of Phoenix to 5000ft altitude in Prescott AZ. During this part of the drive I was seeing 6-8 lbs of boost most of the way and the truck never climbed over 200* this is the same as every other trip I have made to phoenix and back with the stock cooler.

When I arrived home one of the first things I did was pop the hood and take readings with a laser thermometer of each end tank the inlet was 78* and the outlet was 30* with frost on the aluminum. I was shocked how cold it was as it was only 31* ambient temp using a Thermohydrometer I have for water restoration work. The outlet end tank was extremely cold to the touch. Not only that but the new Coldside pipe was ice cold all the way to the throttle body. These are just some initial findings and I will update this as I find more out including dyno and track times. I really want to put the stock cooler on and do back to back dyno runs. This is something I plan to do in the future when time will allow.

Condensation issue
(I will not say a lot about this but this is my views)
This CAC was not made to fix the condensation issue that ford is dealing with The primary
design was for better cooling of the air charge over the factory unit. However due to the cause of the problems with the Ford Intercoolers. I do not see how it is possible for the condensate issue to even occur on this cooler as there is no where for the condensate to collect on this design. The end tanks do not have any area for the moisture to pool. In my opinion I feel that this will be a fix for the people dealing with the issue that do not want to wait for Ford or do not feel like dealing with Ford to fix the issue. It shares nothing with the factory Intercooler design. Another issue that we found is the amount of oil in my Stock cooler is stunning my truck only has 26,000 miles and this is what was coming out of the stock cooler (see picture). I know full race is working on a fix for this issue but I do not have a time frame.

This is my initial review Overall like I said I have never been more happy with anything I have purchased this is the highest quality piece one can purchase. I hope you like the info I provided and if you have any questions feel free to ask *

Regards
Geno
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Quality Hardware

Install
I had the chance to install this kit at the Full Race shop with the team taking pictures of the install to see how the do it yourself
guy can handle this install in his driveway I was timed but also had to pause every 20 seconds so someone could snap a picture. With a break for lunch
the install took 1hr and 43 mins. I feel that it could be done in 1.5 hours EASY with out (hold on we need a picture of that or point at that bolt exc.)
The only part of the install that was even remotely tough at all was the install of the Y pipe. Some could feel its a little hard to get to the factory outlet pipes. But I would call this part a 3 out of a 10 scale. The rest of the install never goes over a 2.

Impressions and Readings
After installing the Intercooler in Phoenix,I had a 2 hour drive from Phoenix to Prescott. In conditions including rush hour stop and go traffic,to highway driving at 75mph,and ice cold conditions in Prescott of 30* and light snow. I have the tablet install in my dash and also have the Torque app running at all times. A few observations from last nights drive.
First I have installed over the last year on my truck a AFE intake, Solo MR400 exhaust,SCT tuner,and now this Intercooler. When it comes to performance You can feel a difference from this cooler period. Not on the level of the Tune, but with the exhaust and intake I could tell no difference other then sound. This I could tell immediately that it feels to pull little harder. I have no Dyno or other info YET to prove this.

I have another way that I could prove it but it would get deleted from the forum Wink Wink!

It for sure makes more power. But for argument sake its just speculation now . Some have raised concern about the cooler in front of the Radiator. In rush hour stop and go traffic in phoenix I saw no difference on the torque app for coolant temps. It was only in the mid 70s and not 120* like the summer but I doubt that I will see any issues. On the way up we have to Climb a 6% grade for 35 miles out of Phoenix to 5000ft altitude in Prescott AZ. During this part of the drive I was seeing 6-8 lbs of boost most of the way and the truck never climbed over 200* this is the same as every other trip I have made to phoenix and back with the stock cooler.

When I arrived home one of the first things I did was pop the hood and take readings with a laser thermometer of each end tank the inlet was 78* and the outlet was 30* with frost on the aluminum. I was shocked how cold it was as it was only 31* ambient temp using a Thermohydrometer I have for water restoration work. The outlet end tank was extremely cold to the touch. Not only that but the new Coldside pipe was ice cold all the way to the throttle body. These are just some initial findings and I will update this as I find more out including dyno and track times. I really want to put the stock cooler on and do back to back dyno runs. This is something I plan to do in the future when time will allow.

Condensation issue
(I will not say a lot about this but this is my views)
This CAC was not made to fix the condensation issue that ford is dealing with The primary
design was for better cooling of the air charge over the factory unit. However due to the cause of the problems with the Ford Intercoolers. I do not see how it is possible for the condensate issue to even occur on this cooler as there is no where for the condensate to collect on this design. The end tanks do not have any area for the moisture to pool. In my opinion I feel that this will be a fix for the people dealing with the issue that do not want to wait for Ford or do not feel like dealing with Ford to fix the issue. It shares nothing with the factory Intercooler design. Another issue that we found is the amount of oil in my Stock cooler is stunning my truck only has 26,000 miles and this is what was coming out of the stock cooler (see picture). I know full race is working on a fix for this issue but I do not have a time frame.

This is my initial review Overall like I said I have never been more happy with anything I have purchased this is the highest quality piece one can purchase. I hope you like the info I provided and if you have any questions feel free to ask *

Regards
Geno

Last edited by geno51; 02-20-2013 at 07:21 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by geno51:
57hippie (02-20-2013), Al Kohalic (02-24-2013), amascio (03-14-2013), captainnemojr (02-20-2013), Commander316 (02-20-2013), EcoBoostedFX (02-20-2013), EcoboostKev (02-20-2013), engineermike (02-20-2013), mrpositraction (02-20-2013), Rock N Roll (08-09-2013), s_vares (02-21-2013), Watt-maker (02-22-2013), WAY BAD (02-20-2013), YellowFinii (02-21-2013) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks beautiful.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

cover that gaping hole up now!
The following users liked this post:
geno51 (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Looks great. That oil coming from the stock unit is scarey. How hard are you in your truck? I ask to gauge how much I might have built up in mine.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Joewee3.5
Looks great. That oil coming from the stock unit is scarey. How hard are you in your truck? I ask to gauge how much I might have built up in mine.
Really I drive it like I stole is sometimes and others I baby the hell out if it. Just depends on my mood. I did go through the stock tires in 16k miles doh!!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jcain
cover that gaping hole up now!
I know I will I have plans for it
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

great write up geno and excellent pics and insight to your install. I have 2 questions, now that your IC is up higher, can you now install a lower bumper grill w/o causing any issue to your new IC. And second, where you installed the new IC seems to be blocking the Radiator, will this cause any overheating of the radiator since it seems to be restricting the air from the front of the grill opening. Would like to hear your feedback after you have run it for a few k's of mileage.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Ever take temp readings with the stock cooler?

Quick Reply: Full Race Intercooler Review (Pic Heavy)