Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Fuel System Cleaners

Old 08-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Fuel System Cleaners

Who uses fuel system cleaners in their direct injection EB and what brands do you use. I've always had improved MPG in fuel injector engines after use at each oil change and I was wondering if anyone used the cleaners in their EB.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

I personally don't use any just buy top tier fuel. Around here Lucas is popular. A lot of GM dealers push injector cleaning but GM has a tsb stating not to clean them unless there is a problem.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

What makes the top tier brands is that they have more fuel system cleaner than the Fed specifies. I think it requires certification and fees as well. Chevron uses Techron in their gas and also sell/license it to other fuel companies. If you can't get top tier fuels, you can always buy Techron additive. If you are using top tier gas, you probably don't need injector cleaners. Ford and other manufacturers of direct injection engines usually recommend the use of top tier gas.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 08-09-2013 at 10:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FordRoushFan (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
What makes the top tier brands is that they have more fuel system cleaner than the Fed specifies. I think it requires certification and fees as well. Chevron uses Techron in their gas and also sell/license it to other fuel companies. If you can't get top tier fuels, you can always buy Techron additive. If you are using top tier gas, you probably don't need injector cleaners. Ford and other manufacturers of direct injection engines usually recommend the use of top tier gas.
Techron is the only otc cleaner I've ever seen work.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Eye of the Tiger

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jcain
+1

It's all I've ever used.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

^ +2 Techron
Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jcain

I think Petro Can here in Canada uses Techron Chevron in the States. I buy Shell or Irving gas all good gas. Have never in any car or truck added cleaners.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Techron is the only thing that I use in both of our vehicles....and at Costco, the six bottle package is only something like $16.00...................cheap!!
Of course, the 36 gallon tank takes TWO!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Another check for Techron. I had a rep from another chemical company tell me "If you run Chevron fuel, you will never need a fuel injection cleaner. There is also a product called BG 44k, but they are way too proud of it 27-30 bucks a can.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:15 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Hands down, Techron is the BEST fuel system cleaner ANYONE can buy. Most dealers such as BMW, Mercedes, GM, Toyota, Chrysler, etc. only use and sell Techron. My business is affiliated with Chevron, so I've had a chance to tour one of the Chevron Refineries and while I was there I spoke with one of the engineers and he said that if you ONLY use Chevron gas (doesn't matter what grade) then you don't have to use Techron. However, if you put in any other gas (even half a tank), they recommend it.

Originally Posted by sterlingone
Techron is the only thing that I use in both of our vehicles....and at Costco, the six bottle package is only something like $16.00...................cheap!!
Of course, the 36 gallon tank takes TWO!
Just so you know, the "Techron" you buy at Costco that comes in a four pack is not the same Techron you buy at a Chevron gas station. The stuff you're buying is called Pro Guard. It's made by Chevron and has small amount of Techron in it but it's only designed to clean the fuel injectors only. You also have to install a bottle every 1,000 miles. Techron is a FULL fuel system cleaner where it cleans the fuel injectors, combustion chamber and intake valves. It also coats the entire system with a gel coating (or something like it) to help protect the entire fuel system for 3K miles.

I'm not trying to come across as an a**hole or anything, people often confuse Costco's "Pro Guard" with Chevron's Techron. They're not the same product and I just wanted to clear that up!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel System Cleaners