Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

fuel quality beware!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default fuel quality beware!

So I was at the dealer this weekend getting some warranty work on the wifes Explorer (Damn myford touch....) And saw an EB truck on the lift, with the fuel tank out. It was back in The diesel section, and I was talking to the techs about the new psd, that's how I saw it. Anyways, he said that the owner got some fuel with water in it, and the water hurt the hpfp. He didn't know the total story as it wasn't his service ticket, but he was thinking that it was similar to the 6.4 psd hpfp problems. On the psd's Ford has been denying warranty for fuel system repairs involving water in fuel. On the psd it is approaching a $10k bill!

I don't know the outcome or anything, but I wanted everyone to know, that we all (no matter the motor) should be cautios of where we get our fuel. The good news. Other than the one truck, and a few early ones that had some injector problems, they haven't had any EB trucks in other than normal f150 things (think trans leak)!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just lived this matter less than one hour ago. I could have bought some unl for 3.25 at some unknown convenient store. Instead I opted to get Chevron with Techron for 3.29 a 1/4 mile further down the road. No regrets!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts

I always try and get shell gasoline.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I always enjoy watching the tanker go from the BP station to the Speedway then to the Wesco. I think your water-in-the-fuel issues have more to do with sloppy handling of the fuel after it leaves the refinery...most likely from the individual retailers storage methods.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

^^Exactly
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Not always. Some cheaper stations get water runoff in their tanks when it rains out. I have been driving over 30 years and was always told to never get gas during or immediately after a rain.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 88 Likes on 36 Posts

Water in your gas is absolutely not a warranty issue, no one should be surprised that ford won't cover it on their dime. My, now ex-wife's, VW Tiguan got an entire tank of water once, we made it about a half mile down the interstate before the water made it to the engine and the inevitable happened. Fortunately, the station owner was a good guy and covered all the related expenses that were caused by the water in his stations tanks. I was later informed that the refinery paid him because their driver delivered a tank full of water, he backed up to the wrong trailer in the yard.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The point was, a set of injectors and a fuel pump for a 5.0 is less than $1k. Getting that out of a retailer might be tough if you don't have undeniable proof. If a hpfp and a set of piezo Di injectors go out, you are looking at $5k +. You will not get that out of a retailer without a fight.

Buy your fuel, whatever brand you prefer, at a good retailer that moves lots of fuel, this will reduce the likelihood of having to deal with that fight.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Razorback150
I was later informed that the refinery paid him because their driver delivered a tank full of water, he backed up to the wrong trailer in the yard.
That right there is a bad day. Ouch.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 88 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by straightaxle
The point was, a set of injectors and a fuel pump for a 5.0 is less than $1k. Getting that out of a retailer might be tough if you don't have undeniable proof. If a hpfp and a set of piezo Di injectors go out, you are looking at $5k +. You will not get that out of a retailer without a fight.

Buy your fuel, whatever brand you prefer, at a good retailer that moves lots of fuel, this will reduce the likelihood of having to deal with that fight.

Yeah I got the point, I was just adding some useful information. Obviously not everyone's experience will be as painless as mine was. Sometimes it doesn't matter where you buy your gas, **** happens. The station I visited was a brand new BP. But it is still a good idea to buy from a newer station(newer tanks) with a good rep, and top tier gas.

Quick Reply: fuel quality beware!