Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ford's new mils vs competition

Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford's new mils vs competition

Looking to buy a new truck this summer. I have been a Toyota owner for years. Not sure their reliability is what it used to be. Curious how reliable you Ford owners feel your trucks are compared with Toyota . On paper I am really impressed with the Fords. Reading this forum I noticed electrical and tranny issues with the EB. Is this a common occurrence or just a vocal minority. I now it is early but are their early indicators on how reliable the 5.0 and EB are going to be? Is one better than the other?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:47 PM
WDE

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

the reason you'll hear of alot of problems with the trucks on here is because people post here to solve problems or ways to fix their trucks. ford's vehicles are very reliable, but they will have some issues every now and then, just like any manufactured automobile. you wont regret leaving toyota
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 PM

I have a supercrew EB with almost 13k miles and have had zero electrical or mechanical issues with my truck.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

9k on ecoboost and no issues with engine, transmission or electrical.

I did have a Goodyear tire that was out of spec but nothing on ford for that. They took care of me!

I personally love my EB! Good luck with your choice.

As far one or the other... I would say its all personal preference. They are both great engines, the EB is just a little of if the norm and some people can't open up to it yet. It does lack that American V8 rumble but makes up for it in super smooth quite performance with an occasional turbo whine or blowoff wooosh.

Last edited by Kenneth Forbus; 01-07-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I own toyotas for years. I now have a 2011 scerw ecoboost with 23k miles zero problems. ford makes a lot BETTER truck you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a 2011 FX4 Supercab 5.0L myself.

8400 miles on it and so far not a single issue to report.

I've driven a few Tundra's and wasn't all that impressed when I compared them to my F-150...The only thing I really liked about the Tundra was the 5.7L V8 which made alot of power...But I tell you...The Ford 5.0L is damn close...I think it would be a crapshoot if you lined a comparabley equipped F-150 and Tundra up.

I say go for it. I've been nothing but 100% pleased and satisfied with my F-150.

Last edited by BlueFX45.0LSupercab; 01-08-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:47 AM

I have had a lot of defects in my new 2011 F150 5.0L. The timing chain tensioner was replaced at 800km, I have a lot of issues with my tranny at 4200km since new, that Ford WILL NOT REPAIR!

There are also a lot of smaller problems people wont talk about, because they are emararrassed to admit their Ford has problems. Most of the new F150 have fisheyed paint jobs, and sh*t rattling everywhere in these trucks, from dash parts to inside door parts, to mis-alligned cargo boxes, the list is endless for the 2011!!!

Just my 2cents...
Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I've had 2 of the smaller toyota pickups in the past and have enjoyed them, they just "worked" with minimal problems. I am now on my 2nd Ford Truck with an 11 Eco sitting in the drive.

I am convinced Ford is king over any other brand truck when it comes to fit and finish, powerplants, quality and style. Not just because I own one but before I bought a Ford I looked at every truck available on the market. The only thing Ford sucked on was sticker price but I quickly learned that Ford will come off of sticker much more than any other competitor and in the end, costs less.

You cannot deny Ford's history, they make trucks that you can work the heck out of and last for many years. Heck, maybe too many years, some of the older Fords on the road are downright ugly and abused, even embarrassing looking but they all have one thing in common, they still work.

As for you hearing about electrical and transmission problems on the Eco, that's about it, you "hear" it. There are no mass issues with these trucks other than a transmission leak that has long since been corrected.

Do note that there are more Ford trucks on the road than any other truck so there are more voices to be heard so take the complaints you read on a forum with a grain of salt. The amount of people on the forum represents a very minimal percentage of overall owners.

Lastly, don't read too much into what grayalf wrote. No offense grayalf but those complaints you have listed are pretty standard complaints you will read on any vehicle forum. Paint is one thing but rattles, come on, it's an assembly of thousands of parts that moves over pathetic roads and takes abuse, it's going to rattle sooner or later, especially if you live in a climate that sees 10 to 100 degrees, brand aside.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Orange peel paint...yeah the paint could be better. The only gripe I have in 12k miles is the creaking leaf springs. My previous truck, 05 dodge 2500, never squeaked in 98k miles. Goodluck on your choice. I'm satisfied with my choice but I don't think I'll keep it as long as my dodge.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Joewee3.5
Orange peel paint...yeah the paint could be better. The only gripe I have in 12k miles is the creaking leaf springs. My previous truck, 05 dodge 2500, never squeaked in 98k miles. Goodluck on your choice. I'm satisfied with my choice but I don't think I'll keep it as long as my dodge.
Funny you mention the creaking leafs. One of the toyotas I had did the same thing within 100 miles of owning it from new. The dealer's response was its a suspension squeak, it happens, live with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford's new mils vs competition