Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing fog light, looking for quick answer

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:22 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Fixing fog light, looking for quick answer

A while ago I posted a fog light question, either a connector or something. A member was kind enough to mail me an extra one he had. I知 sittin under my truck (specs in sig) and the new connector has red and a black wires. The harness coming down from the truck has a brown with a yellow tracer and a black with a green/aqua chaser that was broke.

which is the positive? Brown w/ yellow or black w/green?
Old 04-22-2018, 02:31 PM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by M0RRIS
A while ago I posted a fog light question, either a connector or something. A member was kind enough to mail me an extra one he had. I知 sittin under my truck (specs in sig) and the new connector has red and a black wires. The harness coming down from the truck has a brown with a yellow tracer and a black with a green/aqua chaser that was broke.

which is the positive? Brown w/ yellow or black w/green?
Grab a cheap volt ohm meter from walmart.

Put the meter on DC voltage higher then 12VDC.
DC voltage symbol looks like a solid line with dashes under it. Put the meter probes on the wires with the fogs on. If its a meter with an analog needle, it will only move up when you have the positive(red) meter lead on the positive wire for the fogs. If its a digital meter it will show a + on the screen when you have the positive meter lead on the positive fog wire.

Also, unless they are LED fogs, polarity may not matter.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:34 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Ok, i have a volt meter, I’m just not comfortable with it yet.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:34 PM

Or a cheap circuit tester from walmart will work as well. Looks like a probe with a little orange light in it.
Connect the circuit tester to a for sure known ground and then touch the probe end to the fog wires(fog lights turned on of course) It will only light up when your touching the positive fog wire.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:11 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Ok, another question. Are 9005 and 9006 sockets interchangeable?

I noticed when I tried to put the male into the female there is two types.

Old on left, new on right. See the grooves? The female (with the bulb) has two, the new has one groove. This is why I’m asking if 9005 and 9006 bulbs are interchangeable. I’m at the parts store and forgot which bulb I bought. They are at home on my bench.

Edit: wife called and saved the day. On my bench are two 9145 bulbs. 9005 has two tabs or grooves and 9006 has one. I answered my second question.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by m0rris
ok, another question. Are 9005 and 9006 sockets interchangeable?

I noticed when i tried to put the male into the female there is two types.

old on left, new on right. See the grooves? The female (with the bulb) has two, the new has one groove. This is why i知 asking if 9005 and 9006 bulbs are interchangeable. I知 at the parts store and forgot which bulb i bought. They are at home on my bench.

edit: Wife called and saved the day. On my bench are two 9145 bulbs. 9005 has two tabs or grooves and 9006 has one. I answered my second question.
👍🏼

Quick Reply: Fixing fog light, looking for quick answer