Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Exhaust Manifolds and Turbos Failing @ 71K miles. $6300 REPAIR? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Exhaust Manifolds and Turbos Failing @ 71K miles. $6300 REPAIR? WTF?

Truck History: 2011 Ecoboost 4x4
Purchased used in Nov of 2015
Purchase Mileage: 43k
Current Mileage: 71k

Took the truck in for a whistling/wheezing noise last week. Got a call today that both exhaust manifolds have leaks, rusted out exhaust studs, some broken on both sides. Further testing found that the wastegate operation on both sides are operating out of spec.

Their recommendation:
Replacement of turbos, manifolds and extraction of broken exhaust studs.

Estimate: $6,266.

QUESTIONS:
1. Is this reasonable on a truck with only 71k?
2. What causes this? I have intermittently towed a 7500lbs (actual scale weight) travel trailer with no apparent issues.
3. There has been no warning lights, check engine lights or codes present.

What would you do? I owe $13k on the truck, it needs at a minimum $6266 in repairs.

I'm honestly just very disappointed in this failure.

Who is a regional (NW) or high up service person to work with to at least share my concerns over this extreme repair?

HELP!!!

Old 09-05-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the check engine lights not on consider trading it . Or look for some used parts
Old 09-06-2018, 09:45 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Get a 2nd opinion and estimate. That's a ridiculous price for that work. Furthermore, it sounds to me that they just want to throw parts at the issue, rather than actually diagnose the problem and perhaps save money in the process.

You can buy reman turbos for 500 bucks and exhaust manifolds I can't imagine costing much more than that. I can't see in any way why it would cost $6k for that.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

have a ford dealer run in for warranty coverage, some of that stuff is 8 year 80k emission coverage
Old 09-06-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
have a ford dealer run in for warranty coverage, some of that stuff is 8 year 80k emission coverage
It's currently at a dealer and I called Ford to start a case # with them.

I will be seeking a 2nd opinion to attempt lowering the labor costs. The other concern I have is that after writing the original post, I looked closer at the estimate. The $6266, does not include the extraction of the exhaust studs which they charge at a straight rate of $150 per hour. Realistically, this repair (according to them) may be well upwards of $8000.

So frustrating to not have answers from the "experts" who fix these things!
Old 09-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

So by that logic @ $150/hr and a $1,800 price increase to the $6,200 already quoted, they think it will take 12 hours to take out exhaust studs? Buy new ones! That's ridiculous. This dealer is just getting worse and worse.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Find a different dealer or mechanic. It looks like you've fallen victim to "I am going to quote a crazy price because I don't really care to do the job." This is a very crappy job to perform.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:21 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

You always have the option of just driving it...that's what I would do honestly. Especially since you have no driveability concerns. But I'm not as picky as most I have all sorts of things that could be fixed on my truck
Old 09-07-2018, 01:23 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

And you can buy standalone aftermarket waste gates if they are bad...they aren't a Ford part so they just quote the whole turbo
Old 09-08-2018, 11:33 AM

UPDATE:
The dealer has now told me their hypothesis on the entire situation. It is that the entire repair is needed due to the wastgates closing within Ford's tolerances; however, they failed to open within Ford's tolerances. Therefore, the wastegates did not open to relieve the turbo boost pressure, it backed up to the exhaust manifolds and caused them to leak.

According to the extended warranty, the turbos and manifolds should be covered...IF the ford tech can replicate the turbo wastegate issue for the warranty's inspector. That meeting will happen on Tuesday.

And, I clarified with the warranty company that I am, in fact responsible for the broken stud extraction, but only the broken ones. So, if my out of pocket is the deductible and paying for only a few studs to be extracted, I'm actually happy to do that.

My only question to Ford now is what caused the wastegates to not open. I'm concerned that if they both did it, that it could be a ECU issue or a voltage issue sent to the wastegates.

I'll keep you updated this week.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifolds and Turbos Failing @ 71K miles. $6300 REPAIR? WTF?