Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

error code P0016 2011 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default error code P0016 2011 Ecoboost

Greetings from Wisconsin.
I have been having issues with my turbo over the last several weeks, P0299 error. Flushed out intercooler and drilled a weep hole, feel lots better and error has cleared.

Now pops up the P0016 error, from what I read it isn't a good sign. The Truck is 250 miles away from 80K so if the chain, etc. needs replacement I need to get it in right away and push the 8/80 emissions warranty.The problem is my symptoms dont seen to follow the Ford service notes regarding the timing chain failure. I dont get the loud knocking when I start up. Several years ago I had noise like this but only when the starter was engaged
I will be hauling in two weeks which will be the ultimate test for the turbo. I am considering taking it to a dealer just to be on record but I really dislike dealerships. Not that you cant find one that does good work but the up-selling from the service writers is terrible. I am a smart engineer and know that most of what they say is designed to raise the bill as well as the extra BS makes it much harder to examine the real issues.

I will replace the plugs as routine PM but they are not that older.I can clear the errors but the P0016 popped back up after 3 miles. cleared again and so far it has not returned.

So the question is: could these two errors be related? What is the nature of P0016 when the timing belt issues dont seem to be there? Cant complain about the engine performance now other than it may be a bit sluggish at low speed but that might be the way it always has been.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes - you have the timing chain failure. You won't be going anywhere anytime soon. This code can be read by dealer and they know what to do. The cold start rattle is a similar issue... That is when cam phasers fail due to lack of oil on start. When those fail, timing chain stretches.
in your case, I doubt the emissions warranty will cover it. Most do not get it covered that way. You are looking at a $3k repair bill. Choices are to pay that, or trade it in. It is definitely toast.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:44 PM

What I am interested in is why oil failed to get to the phasers and how the new ones manage to accomplish this. I'll be doing this myself, I've done worse.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:09 PM

Just a follow up. I replaced the T-chain, phasers and lots more. There is a very reliable 4 part YouTube video on the subject. All went perfect have driven it now 1500 mi. Used to get 23mpg on freeway now getting 19. Not so sure why but it is running great. About 40 hours total on the job, it was rather fun to do in an air conditioned workshop.

Quick Reply: error code P0016 2011 Ecoboost