Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost "X" pipe "H" pipe dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Ecoboost "X" pipe "H" pipe dual exhaust

I have looked around and have yet to find any sounds clips of people running an exhaust with a "X" pipe or "H" pipe to dual mufflers. I know there are plenty of after market exhausts out there and some of them have mufflers with a single in and dual out but to be honest none of them sound all that great. I was wondering how an actual dual exhaust would sound? Hopefully some one has done this set up and been able to get some sound clips. If they have I'd really like to see how it sounds because as of now I think I'd rather save my money and keep the stock exhaust instead of buying one of the ones currently out. I know that it will never sound like a V8 but hoping to find something that sounds pretty good
Old 04-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

His has been talked about a bit. I think stainless works might have mentioned working on a true dual system. I think high flow cats and true duals would sound similar to things out now especially with two mufflers. I think it would give it an even more import/sport sound. I'd love to hear it though.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Uploaded some pics to my album, will try to get some sound clips at some point. Looks like I have a small gap in the welds on the H-pipe I'll need to get taken care of.

Edit: System consists of (According to my bill)

Magnaflow 158563 (Part number is 1 digit too long, can't find the correct number, could take some measurements later) X 2 - $300
"Custom Tail Pipe" X 2 - $180
Exhaust Piping - $160
Stainless Tip X 2 - $100
Resonator X 2 - $160
Welds & Hangers - $40
Cross over pipe - $20
Labor - $160

Grand total $1120 + taxes, system adds up quick when you basically double all the parts involved.

Last edited by PlaTTinum; 04-05-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by PlaTTinum
Uploaded some pics to my album, will try to get some sound clips at some point. Looks like I have a small gap in the welds on the H-pipe I'll need to get taken care of.

Edit: System consists of (According to my bill)

Magnaflow 158563 (Part number is 1 digit too long, can't find the correct number, could take some measurements later) X 2 - $300
"Custom Tail Pipe" X 2 - $180
Exhaust Piping - $160
Stainless Tip X 2 - $100
Resonator X 2 - $160
Welds & Hangers - $40
Cross over pipe - $20
Labor - $160

Grand total $1120 + taxes, system adds up quick when you basically double all the parts involved.
Other than the exhaust leak how does it sound?

Wow they have the nerve to charge you for welds when they used clamps. It does look like theres a hole in the picture of the H pipe.

Last edited by mechanicboy; 04-05-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

That's alot of money but cheers to you for doing it. Two resonators and two mufflers probably is pretty tame. I'd love to hear it.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Ferd F-TeenThousand

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't think an H or X was necessary on a Twin turbo vehicle, since scavenging isn't required (or occurring post-turbos). After the turbos, you just want the easiest route out as possible. I could see an improved Y-pipe and large single system benefiting things, or just keep both pipes separate all the way back.

An equal-length Y setup will modify the sound a bit. Might make it sound a bit more smooth/exotic. I did an E-L-Y on my Taurus, and it ended up sounding like the Redneck cousin of a Nissan VQ engine.

Last edited by ElTauro; 04-05-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 PM

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3m...UThwOEowTlJRZw

Quick start up and rev. The truck was warm, so no comments on the revving.
Everytime I start it up, it has a bit of a fast idle, even if I've just shut it off, so it's a little louder at idle right now than it is once I get it running for a bit.

Unlike a lot of people (claim), I actually seem to have a pretty decent cellphone mic, as this is pretty much how it sounds in person. It is pretty quiet around idle and cruising with the dual resonators, but believe me, stomping on it, this thing is LOUD. I'd say it's louder than the Heartthrob system I had before (Anyone want to buy it?), but way less drone than that thing had.

Regarding clamps vs welds, I specifically requested clamps at the advice of a friend who works as a Ford Tech. If they ever need to take the exhaust out to repair anything, and it's welded in place, they'll charge a fortune to cut it and weld it back in. And there was welding done where the stock Y-pipe was, shown in the last (technically first) photo in the album. As for improving the stock Y-pipe, a single 3" pipe is smaller diameter than 2 x 2.5" pipes, so you'd have to go right back to the stock Y, cut it off, and fab something new, at least 3.5". I didn't see any benefit in going any larger seeing as the cats were already 2.5".
Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Bump with more vids. Hope you guys like looking at the light switch, because using a cellphone while driving isn't quiet legal here (No one said anything about a camera though)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3m...UjluS3BOanowUQ
Windows down, moderate-heavy acceleration out of a turn, cut off when I got a phonecall at the end.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3m...bUxFR2J1bDNKUQ
Windows down, hard acceleration out of a turn

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3m...VHkyWjBqN1VuZw
Windows up, took a turn waiting for someone to get out of my lane, moderate-hard acceleration, some nice turbo noise around 15sec, then some cruising to show how quiet it is. Quick stomp on the gas at the end cause why not?

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3m...aE1iWFpmVmpRZw
Windows up again, moderate acceleration after a turn, lots of whistling from the turbos as I eased off.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3m...YlhDSlBNUi1JQQ
One of my favorites, cut a little short at the end, you can hear the turbo spooling up. Unfortunately, cellphone isn't able to capture it spooling up all the way. Windows down again.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3m...QnBhRnFSbEtmQQ
Again, floored after a turn, can notice it echoing around the area I was driving in. Hit cruise, windows up, dead silent.

I'll see if I can find some better places for more videos later today.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 PM
2011 XLT XTR SCrew 4x4 EB

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Good God man! put this on YouTube so I can see it!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anybody else having problems getting these to play??? I can't load any of them!

Bob

Quick Reply: Ecoboost "X" pipe "H" pipe dual exhaust