Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost turbo making noise when cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ecoboost turbo making noise when cold

I have a 2012 ecoboost with 55,000km, it sounds like a driver's side turbo is making a ticking noise for about 5 seconds when the engine is relatively cold from a stop and then goes away. It just started a few days ago.

I just had the CAC update done with new cats and it seems that my once snappy and dependable truck is back.

However, the dealership can not repeat the noise. Sure enough it made the noise again for a few stop lights when I picked up the truck after the technicians had gone home for the day!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by albertafordf150
I have a 2012 ecoboost with 55,000km, it sounds like a driver's side turbo is making a ticking noise for about 5 seconds when the engine is relatively cold from a stop and then goes away. It just started a few days ago.

I just had the CAC update done with new cats and it seems that my once snappy and dependable truck is back.

However, the dealership can not repeat the noise. Sure enough it made the noise again for a few stop lights when I picked up the truck after the technicians had gone home for the day!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Are you sure it isn't the common vacuum pump noise a lot of people hear at idle and worry about.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:36 AM

Last week, I took my ecoboost back to the dealership. They heard the intermittent noise (sounds like a bad heater fan motor ticking/whine before it dies when the drivers side turbo spins up with boost from a stop light) and they have been on the ford hotline since. It does not make the noise in neutral/park.

Hopefully I will get my truck back this week. At least ford gave me a rental.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 PM

update-new turbos going in monday morning and I believe new coils and plugs also

The dealership has had the truck for 2 plus weeks. Maybe I will get it back next week.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by albertafordf150
update-new turbos going in monday morning and I believe new coils and plugs also

The dealership has had the truck for 2 plus weeks. Maybe I will get it back next week.
i would be curious to see if they have a updated turbo model they are replacing it with... seems the '11's and '12's turbo's weren't good enough for the '13 models...
Old 05-25-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BenJAMO
i would be curious to see if they have a updated turbo model they are replacing it with... seems the '11's and '12's turbo's weren't good enough for the '13 models...
I was wondering the same, if 11-12's get turbo replacement are they getting the '13 turbos? Well in the case of both getting done.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=StrawHatShinobi;2720930]I was wondering the same, if 11-12's get turbo replacement are they getting the '13 turbos? Well in the case of both getting done.[/QUOTE

if so looks like ill be going to my shop saying i hear ticking from the drivers turbo when its cold out...

Quick Reply: Ecoboost turbo making noise when cold