Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EcoBoost Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:08 PM
On The Hunt For A Project

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default EcoBoost Tuning Questions

So I finally picked up a 2013 FX4 EcoBoost, loaded out. It only has around 400 miles on it as of today. How early is too early to start tuning it?

Also, I have a few questions about tuning in general.

1) I'm no stranger to tuning, I've been tuning my diesels for years. Can the dealer 100% for a fact tell if I have tuned it? It will be under warranty for a long time, but I only plan on tuning it and putting a cold air intake in. I would hate for them to void my warranty because of the tuner on a completely unrelated repair. I've done a search and couldn't really find a definite answer. I know it will throw a P1000 code, which all trucks will do, but will reset after a few drive cycles or by clearing the code.

2) Why does Livernois use the Hypertech tuner as opposed to SCT? Does the Hypertech have an advantage over the SCT? I've always used SCT as long as I've had a Ford... I know there are a lot more tuners who write files for the SCT. I've always heard Livernois is (one of) the best for the Ecoboosts... I just want to maximize all the potential this engine has. I will be running an aFe Stage 2, thermostat, and a custom tune. That's it. I will eventually do downpipes and IC, but not anytime soon.

3) How long is the engine supposed to break-in? I've been wanting to hit up the track before it closes (on stock tuning) just to see what she can do before I tune it.

I know I forgot some things, and I will remember them eventually. Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tune your truck whenever you are ready. The way engines are produced now, they are broken-in from the factory. As long as you flash your ecu back to stock, the dealer cannot tell that your truck was ever tuned. I prefer SCT for the tuning software that I use and the customers that I have are very satisfied with their vehicles. I used Hypertech in a past life and did not care for their software setup. If I can help with anything else, just let me know. Good luck with truck, you are going to love the power that they have, especially once they are tuned.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by seeya
You can tune your truck whenever you are ready. The way engines are produced now, they are broken-in from the factory. As long as you flash your ecu back to stock, the dealer cannot tell that your truck was ever tuned. I prefer SCT for the tuning software that I use and the customers that I have are very satisfied with their vehicles. I used Hypertech in a past life and did not care for their software setup. If I can help with anything else, just let me know. Good luck with truck, you are going to love the power that they have, especially once they are tuned.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I've been driving 600 HP diesels for the past couple of years, but they weighed in around 8k. I'm curious to how well a tuned Ecoboost will run.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I've been driving 600 HP diesels for the past couple of years, but they weighed in around 8k. I'm curious to how well a tuned Ecoboost will run.
look at the 1/4 mile list at the top of the page and you can see times and mods. should be heading to the track tonight with my truck so I can add it to the list. But mine has a little bit more than just boltons...
Old 09-27-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by seeya
look at the 1/4 mile list at the top of the page and you can see times and mods. should be heading to the track tonight with my truck so I can add it to the list. But mine has a little bit more than just boltons...
Don't worry, I've been reading that thread since it was posted. I just haven't ever ridden in one, yet.

Looking forward to hearing your results!

Last edited by SickStroke6.0; 09-27-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Actually, if the tech digs deep enough, they can tell how many times the ecm has been flashed. They can't tell what file or what parameters were changed only that it had been flashed. There's also some communication codes that come up from being flashed or when battery power is interrupted. I run a SCT tuner since about 5k miles and have had my truck to the dealer a couple times. I don't think they could tell by just doing a simple code search. You can't go wrong with either SCT or Livernois. SCT has the ability to store custom tunes if you can find a tuner that you trust.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Watt-maker
Actually, if the tech digs deep enough, they can tell how many times the ecm has been flashed. They can't tell what file or what parameters were changed only that it had been flashed. There's also some communication codes that come up from being flashed or when battery power is interrupted. I run a SCT tuner since about 5k miles and have had my truck to the dealer a couple times. I don't think they could tell by just doing a simple code search. You can't go wrong with either SCT or Livernois. SCT has the ability to store custom tunes if you can find a tuner that you trust.
correct, but most techs don't know how to access that part of the menu in the computer system. trust me on that...it is nothing to lose sleep over
Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine has been tuned since 1500 miles, I would go for it, SCT is very good.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Tunes make a massive difference on the Ecoboost. Almost diesel like gains... :-)
Old 09-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchi Motorsports
Tunes make a massive difference on the Ecoboost. Almost diesel like gains... :-)
Truth! ^^^

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Tuning Questions