Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost real world

Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Ecoboost real world

Hey y'all sorry to intrude on your forum section here haha but I've got a 5.4 triton and I was wondering if the ecoboost is as good as ford says it is?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

The 5.4 is an awesome towing engine; especially with the 6 speed. But don't go test drive an Ecoboost because it will follow you home. It is truely a game changer.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by acadianbob
The 5.4 is an awesome towing engine; especially with the 6 speed. But don't go test drive an Ecoboost because it will follow you home. It is truely a game changer.
Yeah I got the 6 speed. Wow that good? Haha alright I'll stay away from my dealer
Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Official Member: Vast RWC

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

If you cannot live without the sound of a sexy v8 the Eco is not for you.

If you like massive towing power and 20mpg unloaded over thousands of miles of mixed driving buy an Eco F150.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The gas milage on your current 5.4 isn't to far off from the ecoboost... don't let MIKE ROW from the commercials get in your head... cause he's lying. Well....Unless you get the 2 wheel drive and regular cab, and 3:10 gear ratio. I like the 5.4 its a VERY reliable motor especially the one you have linked with the 6 speed is a good match.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

How many times do people need to be told to understand that Ford has nothing to do w/ the EPA ratings? And furthermore, why wouldn't their marketing or advertisers advertise the best possible proven number to entice its future customers? That's simple Business 101. The current advertising I see reads and says "Up to 22 or 23mpg highway fuel economy". Call it creative advertising or whatever, but no other manufacturer can advertise that kind of fuel mileage AND the power the EB has AND the towing capability as well. Of course they are going to play to their strengths and best numbers to put out there.

To keep it short and simple, the EB is everything it has been advertised to be. It's power feels effortless, it tows like nothing is back there, never leaves 6th gear on the highway in cruise, and has great fuel economy on top of that. I have already put 17k miles on mine in 7 months of ownership and routinely get 21+ at 72-74 on the highway. I made a trip from Austin TX to San Diego CA and back (3,000 miles roughly) and even with long stretches of 80mph speed limits, mountains, valleys, etc, I still averaged almost 20 for that entire trip.

It is truly an accomplishment for Ford to be able to offer a truck that has the Big 3: Power, Towing Capacity, & Fuel Mileage. There is no other 1/2 ton out there that offers all 3 of those at the level that the EB does. And the one that is the closest to it, is also a Ford motor as well!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Official Member: Vast RWC

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB
How many times do people need to be told to understand that Ford has nothing to do w/ the EPA ratings? And furthermore, why wouldn't their marketing or advertisers advertise the best possible proven number to entice its future customers? That's simple Business 101. The current advertising I see reads and says "Up to 22 or 23mpg highway fuel economy". Call it creative advertising or whatever, but no other manufacturer can advertise that kind of fuel mileage AND the power the EB has AND the towing capability as well. Of course they are going to play to their strengths and best numbers to put out there.

To keep it short and simple, the EB is everything it has been advertised to be. It's power feels effortless, it tows like nothing is back there, never leaves 6th gear on the highway in cruise, and has great fuel economy on top of that. I have already put 17k miles on mine in 7 months of ownership and routinely get 21+ at 72-74 on the highway. I made a trip from Austin TX to San Diego CA and back (3,000 miles roughly) and even with long stretches of 80mph speed limits, mountains, valleys, etc, I still averaged almost 20 for that entire trip.

It is truly an accomplishment for Ford to be able to offer a truck that has the Big 3: Power, Towing Capacity, & Fuel Mileage. There is no other 1/2 ton out there that offers all 3 of those at the level that the EB does. And the one that is the closest to it, is also a Ford motor as well!
Couldnt agree more........... my truck has completey exceeded all of my expectations at this point and she now has 12k miles on her. It is so easy to get 20+ combined MPG to a tank of gas its ridiculous......... especially considering it weighs almost 6000 lbs and has 3.73 gears.

Originally Posted by murdr
The gas milage on your current 5.4 isn't to far off from the ecoboost... don't let MIKE ROW from the commercials get in your head... cause he's lying. Well....Unless you get the 2 wheel drive and regular cab, and 3:10 gear ratio. I like the 5.4 its a VERY reliable motor especially the one you have linked with the 6 speed is a good match.

What!!??! The 2000 5.4 expedition i had NEVER broke 14mpg combined... terrible terrible.

This is what the EB is capable of........... 1000+ miles traveled of mixed driving and 20+ mpg.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by gimmie11s

Couldnt agree more........... my truck has completey exceeded all of my expectations at this point and she now has 12k miles on her. It is so easy to get 20+ combined MPG to a tank of gas its ridiculous......... especially considering it weighs almost 6000 lbs and has 3.73 gears.

What!!??! The 2000 5.4 expedition i had NEVER broke 14mpg combined... terrible terrible.

This is what the EB is capable of........... 1000+ miles traveled of mixed driving and 20+ mpg.
Yeah I can get like 15.5 max but I average 14.5 bc I like how my truck sounds
Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gimmie11s

Correct me if I am wrong ( which is a real possibility ), but if I divide your miles traveled by the time traveled, your average speed is approx. 40MPH.

I'm not sure that is an average speed for a normal trip ... atleast not one I drive !!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tritonblue
Correct me if I am wrong ( which is a real possibility ), but if I divide your miles traveled by the time traveled, your average speed is approx. 40MPH.

I'm not sure that is an average speed for a normal trip ... atleast not one I drive !!
It's actually surprising... My dads car always shows an average of 36-38 mph per trip and he does a lot of highway driving. You have to keep in mind when you are in parking lots or turning on your truck from a dead stop all of that is 0mph which hurts the average a lot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost real world