Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ecoboost Question

Should I be pissed that the dealer used the wrong oil(5W20 instead of 5W30) and oil filter in my2011 F150 Ecoboost motor?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TeleMan
Should I be pissed that the dealer used the wrong oil(5W20 instead of 5W30) and oil filter in my2011 F150 Ecoboost motor?

I would say! If you did it they would void your warranty if you had a oil related problem. How long did you run it that way and was it under load? Their manual says to protect engine and warranty use 5-30. I would be demanding a bearing, cylinder inspection otherwise how do you know that no damage was done. In this case their owners manual warning puts you in a good legal position.

Last edited by Loki 5.0; 03-16-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Just a mile from the dealership to my house.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a mile from the dealership to my house.
You probably are OK, I would ask the service manager at another dealer without telling them who did it what his take on it is.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter

Which filter was used?
Another post has this change=

Subject:EFC00063DC New Part Number FL2055, 2011 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost Oil Filter
INTRODUCING THE FL2055
Motorcraft is pleased to announce the availability of the FL2055. This all new oil filter is the service filter for the 2011 model year F-150, 3.5L Ecoboost engine.
All 2011 F-150 trucks equipped with a 3.5L Ecoboost engine were produced with a small diameter (77mm/3 inch) oil filter. The service replacement oil filter, the FL2055, is a larger diameter (94mm/3.75inch) filter. The FL2055 has significantly higher filtration efficiency and capacity than most other oil filters and is designed for added engine protection and long life. For proper engine maintenance, a FL2055 oil filter or an equivalent filter meeting Ford material and design specifications must be used.
If a replacement oil filter is installed that does not meet Ford specifications, engine damage may occur which may not be eligible for warranty coverage. The oil capacity for the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost engine with the FL2055 oil filter is 6.2 quarts (5.9L).

The Oil is not such a big thing is the weather is suitable.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 PM

The FL-500-S Filter was used. The owners manual came with an "add-on" technical document that specified the FL-2055 as the filter to be used. When I pointed this out to the service manager he clamed that the FL-2055 was the old filter and the FL-500_S was the new one replacing it.

I will be towing a 6000# travel trailer this weekend from Ohio to the Bristol Nacar race. Will the 5W20 oil have any adverse effect on the engine?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 PM

Take it back down there and make them change it for free. Their mistake, their screwup. Your not gonna have piece of mind until you do so might as well get it over with.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Agree, doubt it did anything. You would not want to run it under heavy loads on hot days for long distance with 5w-20 oil. 1 mile to the house it probably just bearly got to operating temps.

Take it back to the dealer that did it wrong and have them replace it, filter too. How do you really know they actually change it unless you watch. Most have policies that say no customers in service bays due to insurance. You can mark the oil filter some way to be sure they change it.

If intersted below is how the different weights on a multi-weight oil peform:

Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature. This from the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ offers the following very interesting description of how the polymers work:
  • At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:57 PM
JJJ

Originally Posted by triglet
Take it back down there and make them change it for free. Their mistake, their screwup. Your not gonna have piece of mind until you do so might as well get it over with.
+1

And after I had them change it for free, the next thing I would do is find a different dealer to bring the truck to for service.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Loki 5.0
I would say! If you did it they would void your warranty if you had a oil related problem. How long did you run it that way and was it under load? Their manual says to protect engine and warranty use 5-30. I would be demanding a bearing, cylinder inspection otherwise how do you know that no damage was done. In this case their owners manual warning puts you in a good legal position.

I am not sure if I would want the dealer, to be doing a field-strip on my new engine, just for a very limited run of a slightly different weight motor oil; especially in these cooler winter weather conditions???

Having said that, I feel the issue is moot; you could 'demand' all you want, but I doubt they would even consider the request.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Question