Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost power loss when launching at track???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Ecoboost power loss when launching at track???

I had this happen a couple times while launching at the track. I didn't know if it was the stumble /power loss that everyone is talking about. I was at the tree waiting for the other truck to stage. I revved to 2600 and expected the launch of my life but nope. Tree falls and I hammer it, the truck feels like it dies for a full second and then wham, back to life. This was not boost lag. Many other trips down the track launched hard. It was like the engine killed itself in expectation of the hard launch. It's hard to explain. It happened twice. Plugs are gapped properly. Something else to note is that my best track times have occurred on the very first run of each trip.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Did you spin hard? I know playing in the snow if you spin to hard it will dump all the boost and you are dead in the water for a second and then it comes back.

I also know in other vehicles that I have experience with torque management can come in if you are braking and gassing it at the same time for too long.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me. Launching in 4x4 25-2600 rpm launch. Set up in sig.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

I noticed this other day on mine, too. According to Tq app...launching at 2000-2200 had me 3 tenths faster than at 25-2600 launching. My extremely uneducated guess is that it has something to do with the converter-----much like what is happening on dyno runs we are seeing where there is no power below 2K rpm.

I bet it's allowing slip as a "safety" measure (which is IMO is a total croc-of-poop).
.....just my .02

--EDIT-- Saw where you launched hard on other trips, too. I still think there's something going on with the stock tq converter allowing slip.

Last edited by 13'TwinScrew; 02-21-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

I flash mine to 2200 rpms and by then the boost follows VERY shortly after. Any more torque management (big brother) is going to step in.

Your transmission could be slipping too
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 AM

Sounds like the same thing. Yeah, 22-2300 were good launches. I figured if the brakes were holding the more rpm the better. I was having horrible wheel hop on several of the runs. This ford is a finicky thing to launch. I also thought the livernois tune eliminated torque management. Anyway, it was just a bit embarrassing cutting 1.9 60s with boosted launches. My diesel did 1.7-1.8 no problem. Must be a safety feature to keep us from breaking stuff.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joewee3.5
Sounds like the same thing. Yeah, 22-2300 were good launches. I figured if the brakes were holding the more rpm the better. I was having horrible wheel hop on several of the runs. This ford is a finicky thing to launch. I also thought the livernois tune eliminated torque management. Anyway, it was just a bit embarrassing cutting 1.9 60s with boosted launches. My diesel did 1.7-1.8 no problem. Must be a safety feature to keep us from breaking stuff.

You would think any tune would remove any and all of these nannies. Perhaps one of the tuners can chime in..
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Originally Posted by K-Dubb
You would think any tune would remove any and all of these nannies. Perhaps one of the tuners can chime in..
Depending on the "aggressiveness" of the tune.

I can tell from my 5 star and how the boost behaves that there is torque management is still in place.

I have had tunes in the past that the transmission would SLAM into gear at WOT, that is because the tuner took out ALL torque management. This was on my SRT 8 Cherokee I had. I contacted the tuner and asked that at least 50% of the torque management be put back in.

Some like this, I personally don't.

If your truck isn't SLAMMING into gear then you have some amount of torque management left in. The torque managment is just what you probably guess. It cuts torque (engine power) for certain instances. Shifting, tire spin, transmission slip, brake boosting (I can't speak for Ford but I have seen GM's cut power when applying the brake and gas for too long, it was a fine line of flashing the converter and cutting your power through torque management).
Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Just curious, are you turning advanctrac off as well as traction control or just the traction control?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:05 PM

Turning advance trac off, 4wd launch, in tow/haul. A couple runs wheel hopped and felt like I was breaking the truck, some launched okay but 1.9 is 2wd territory.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost power loss when launching at track???